Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Two small lakes

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Two small lakes

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed May 22, 2019 7:20 pm

There are two small state forest lakes near us, that we haven't fished in years, so we thought we'd give 'em a go today. The "charts" said the best fishing would be between three and six pm so we piddled around getting the kayaks and gear ready, including replacing the four tiedown straps before they could fail. I had noticed some fraying the last time we strapped down the kayaks after fishing.

Fished the first small lake for about an hour... Nada. Loaded up and headed to the second lake. It had been a good spot for crappie and modest bass. Some changes in the years, the edges were covered in lilly pads. Good for the frog rod, sux for the fly rod. Tina was killin it on the crappie and hooked a nice bass in the 18" range. I got some strikes. Had been out about three hours and was working my way back to the launch when the water blew up and i hooked about a 21 incher. Bent the heavy frog rod double. He hit the frog just after it dropped onto the lilly pads and I made it hop, and buried himself deep on the bottom. I let him. When he broke and ran, I let him tow me. I played him for for or five minutes before bringing him up between our two kayaks, and as I reached in to lift him out for his picture, he snapped his head to The left, and broke the leader.... Off he went. :roll:

It was okay... I was thankful for the topwater blowup, the nice fight, and seeing him right beside the kayak. Long, fat, and full of color. :D
We would have released him anyway. :P
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Two small lakes

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed May 22, 2019 7:21 pm

That is the biggest bass I have brought boat side in the last couple years.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Maybe next time
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu May 23, 2019 10:24 am

The lesson learned... Take the dang net... If i had, I could have easily scooped that citation bass into the kayak.
It will come along from now on, you betcha.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu May 23, 2019 1:20 pm

gotta love top water fishing .... there's nothing like seeing, hearing, and feeling a bass take a top water plug
0 x