Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Out on the ice yesterday

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Out on the ice yesterday

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:07 pm

My step son and I went out on the ice yesterday for some fishing. I had some new gear that I had patiently waited for ( up to three years ) to test out. It was a good day for fishing, mostly overcast and very little wind.

We got onto the lake and drilled a test hole. Almost a foot of ice. Plenty.

We set out our tip ups.

Next, I set up my shelter. I had purchased it a few years ago and never got a chance to use it yet. I had no idea how large it was, as it had little information on the outside packaging. Two people would be fine for me. The kerosene heater leaked out all the fuel on the way to the lake, so it stayed in the truck. The shelter was very warm on it's own if the doors and vents were sealed. It was roomy and my step son and I figured three could fish very comfortably out of it. Four in a pinch.

The next item of gear was an under water camera I got when Gander Mountain went out of business. There wasn't much left when I stopped at the store on the way home from camp a couple of years ago. On a table, there were several boxes of these under water camera units. A friend at work swore by them for ice fishing. They were marked some where around 75.00 so I decided why not. On cashing out, the unit was fifty bucks. Can't go wrong. I took it home and put it on charge, as it runs on a 12v sealed lead battery. I charged it for days and got nothing. I took the unit out to the truck, plugged in the cigarette lighter adapter and a picture came onto the screen. It was black and white. No wonder the battery wouldn't charge, it was so old................lol. I ordered a new battery and charged it and it worked great at home. Fast forward to yesterday. It worked perfectly. It showed us there were no fish where I had made my holes for jigging. My step son was watching when a group of largemouth bass swam nearby. Wow, that was cool to see them. I couldn't get them interested in my jig, but cool none the less.

There's a reason why there are no fish pictures. NO FISH. One of the tip ups went off, but no Tiger Muskie to show for it. The minnow had taken a brutal hit, but no hook set. Still, it was a good shakedown for the gear. I know what it is and how to get it to work well. I did move to another spot. It was a great spot over a fallen tree. Lot's of structure and weeds, but no fish. Better luck next time. It was nice just to have time to go.
6 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Out on the ice yesterday

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Part of hunting, err fishing, sans the harvest. Everyone has been there, done that.

But glad you two had a good time together, and that your equipment checks out okay, too. Lots of cool stuff there, especially doing that underwater photography! I also think your rendezvous looks like a good shelter to thaw out in, as needed. RSb noticed that also in his comment. :lol:

There is fun in just doing those types of things with someone else. Sure do hope your next ice outing is much, much less than three years out! Enjoyed your post.
PT7
daytime dave wrote:My step son and I went out on the ice yesterday for some fishing.... It was a good day for fishing.
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:09 pm

This cant be official. First off there isn't any coffee cups in those pictures and second of all I see no adult beverage bottles any where in sight. I think these pictures were from National Geographic.
4 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:23 pm

I think National Geographic would have at least had some file photos of some fish. But I'm with the BigAl on the rest of it!
BigAl52 wrote:This cant be official. First off there isn't any coffee cups in those pictures and second of all I see no adult beverage bottles any where in sight. I think these pictures were from National Geographic.
daytime dave wrote:...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:25 pm

BigAl52 wrote:This cant be official. First off there isn't any coffee cups in those pictures and second of all I see no adult beverage bottles any where in sight. I think these pictures were from National Geographic.
:lol: :lol: Al , and good story Dave! Bet ya'll had fun anyway!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:28 pm

I've spent many hours sitting in cold stands hunting for deer, bear, and boar .. :) .. have never sat out on a frozen lake fishing .. :? .. I really like the camera, I can see one really coming in handy
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 am

Miss T and I have loved fishing for years, and have long been associated with a local kayak dealership that sells all over the world. We were at an annual demo day with our rigged fishing kayaks on static display. This was always a great opportunity to talk with other fisherman and kayakers, share ideas, and promote the sport.

The GMs six year old son put everything in perspective, after casting his GI Joe rod off a small dock for an hour or so prior to lunch. Not a single bite in all that time, but still grinning from ear to ear.

"Have fun?" I asked him.
" Sure, " he said. "If you had to catch something to have fun, they'd call it catching."
Then he laughed with pure joy.
4 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 am

Great stories all around, thanks for sharing! Man, that looks cold!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:11 am

For most of the time I sat on the DeWalt bucket in my flannel shirt. I tried not show any of the Pabst cans in the photos. His mother wouldn't approve. We had a deal about that, he relaxes and has adult beverages and I drive. I should have brought a thermos of coffee, but forgot. If the heater was in service, it would have been down right toasty. Metal cups on top of the heater keeps the coffee warm while you drink it. Most of it packs in and out on the sled.

0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member