Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

something special

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

something special

Post by The Wiz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Yesterday, while I was defending my title of the " Worlds Worst Fisherman" on a walk way foot bridge, I was approached by a bunch of middle school kids. It did not take me long to realize they were special needs children with their minders (bless them) on an outing, visiting the park. They hung out for awhile watching me and then moved out except for one kid named Dante. I knew he was hard to handle as he had one minder assigned to him only. He stood by me while the minder ( Rhonda) explained to him what I was doing. He suddenly grapped my pole but I held on and Rhonda quickly intervened and reminded him of his manners. He did not verbalize well but he said he was sorry. After Rhonda got him under control, we let him hold the pole together with me. He was very quiet but Rhonda said that he was very happy. After awhile he lost interest and I had a chance to talk to her and she said that they have a program that take kids fishing as therapy. Way cool! I said that if they needed help let me know. Get this... She said that this particular program had a surplus of volunteers. Way to go you fishermen! Made me feel good that I was in some way connected to a sport that was involved in helping those kids. Now if I could just catch some darn fish..... :?
9 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: something special

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:49 pm

outstanding .... I have no doubt that people who fish, hunt and are involved in outdoor activities spend far more time volunteering for such worthy activities than is commonly known
4 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:15 pm

Great story, Wiz. Thanks for sharing it.

As a young adult, I spent three years caring for mentally and physically challenged people (children and adults), a time that continues to be among the most rewarding periods of my life. I hope you get a chance to participate in that program. You'll like it. So will they.
2 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:30 pm

That's the kind of news we need a to hear a whole lot more. Made my day. Thanks.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 pm

That's very cool, thanks for sharing. A fly-fishing buddy of mine in the NW has done some similar work and really got a lot out of it!

Made my day, too!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:36 pm

If you can find a veteran program, please join.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:50 am

Miss Tina and I started and ran a chapter of a veteran's kayak fishing charity in our area for several years. We started from scratch, raising funds, purchasing equipment and consumables, and making the connections at the VA. Fund raisers and contact events at public events garnered volunteers and it was hard to decide at the end of each outing who benefited more, the veterans or the volunteers.

We also spent time teaching fly tying/casting at the VA with Healing Waters fly fishing. In addition, we coached on the fly fishing trips, and thru a fly rod building class. The joy on the face of your student when they hook their first fish on the fly they tied... Priceless.

Find a charity associated with something you love, and volunteer.
3 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:19 pm

update:
I volunteered at that park/historic mill to be a guide and a general helper in the different programs that they have. Most of the programs are educational and aimed at children. One of the programs is cane pole fishing. The program has been off and on depending on volunteers. Well... they are seriously thinking about reviving the program now that they have a fishing dude on board (their words ). Have not fished with a cane pole since I was a young kid. It will be a learning experience for me as well for the kids. Here's hoping.
3 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 pm

When we took kids or new adults fishing, we started out targeting small inshore panfish on light tackle. They bite well, and put up a good fight on the light tackle giving good feedback to the new fishermen. As experience grows, we would expand the baits, move to heavier tackle, and target bigger fish. Kept them interested. If the bigger fish weren't biting, we could always switch back to bream. Lol.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:25 am

We took some friends from Holland fishing at a local lake, it must have been an off day, nothing in the tackle box was drawing a strike from bass or crappie on spinning gear. I rigged up a couple four weight fly rods, gave them a quick class on basic casting, and tied on dry flies. We were kayak fishing and i put them working the shore line of the small coves. A dead day suddenly heated up. They didn't care about the size, the small fish on light fly rods were fun. Catch and release for a couple hours.
3 x