Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Got out a couple times...

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Got out a couple times...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:57 pm

In the new Bonafide SS127 Sit on Tops.

The last trip was to the state park lake just around the corner from the house. Spent a few hours and the weather was "warm" but not oppresive like it has been. The fish still weren't biting like they used to, and once again they weren't hitting the baitcaster or the spinning rod. The only thing they wanted to hit was the pond mouse on the 6wt fly rod. That fly has been evil this year. I was catching small bass in the 1 to 2 pound range. Late in the day I hooked a really good sized bass, one big enough to bend that 6wt rod double, then past double and put the tip in the water as it ran under the kayak. It gave me a bit of a tow, then must have wound the line around a sunken tree branch, as we were hung up. When he broke the leader, he must have been able to spit the bait, as he got away and the mouse floated to the surface. :lol:

Nice day, nice fight. Several nice fish.
I like that bait since the bream will blow up on it and take it down, but they can't hook up. The 2/0 hook is too big for them. They usually drag it down by the tail. ;)

The pond mouse:
tina's pond mouse.jpg
tina's pond mouse.jpg (83.19 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
As you can see, it's a large fly, and you need at least a 5wt to throw it. The leather ears and face make the fly pop nicely when you strip it, and the tail will give you a good action if you "swim" it. That 2/0 saltwater hook is needed to break thru the tough mouths of the 20+ inch bass in the big farm ponds. Plus, it keeps you from spending the day removing those little pan fish. :lol:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Got out a couple times...

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:46 am

Got out again twice for a couple hours this week. The new kayak makes it possible to paddle for a couple hours or three. On both occasions I put fish in the boat. Thursday, I hooked a really nice bass that I got close enough to get a good look at before he made a last run. He spooled the line back off the six weight fly rod then managed to duck under some structure in the lake and tangle the leader,
tearing free of the fly. When I broke the leader and freed the fly line, the fly floated up about ten yards away. Lol.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Got out a couple times...

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:50 am

good to hear you are able to get out and about to do something your enjoy .... hate you lost the bass but at least you got your fly back .... also good to hear the new boat performs well for you
0 x