Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

another good day, Pt. 3

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

another good day, Pt. 3

Post by The Wiz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Got up early to fish at the local state park. Since I am probably the worst fisherman in the state of Illinois, I decided to lower aspirations. Two goals today were not to fall in the water and not to draw blood from my fingers. Well.... I did not draw blood. However, I did get wet. Here's the story:

I was walking back to the car after getting skunked as usual, when I thought I'll hit the creek that feeds into the lake. It was on the way, so what they heck. I changed lures and started to cast when on the second cast something hit hard. and fast. Set the hook and started the reel. I was surprised as all get out. The fish was fighting but I was getting him when all of sudden everything came to a stop. the rod bent about in half and the brake was singing. I could see the fish on the sand bar flopping around but I could not budge him. I put the rod down and grabbed the line and started to haul it in. It quickly became obvious as it got closer to shore that I was hauling a 3 ft piece of wood with it. Anyway got both to shore. The fish ( walleye ) spit the hook and start flapping towards the sloping bank and freedom. There was no way I was going to let that sucker go and I grabbed it. Of course, now me and the fish are both going down the muddy and slippery bank into the water. Thankfully the bank was not that steep and I stopped about knee deep and I still had the fish. Hurray! My first fish of the season. Any way I flipped the fish up the bank and got out of the water wet and muddy but with a grin of my face. This was something you see on the internet. Got myself together, took a picture of the walleye ( about 14 inches) and let him go. I said to myself, maybe there is another one out there. Sure enough on the third cast got another one but smaller and no log and I did not go swimming. I called it a day and went home to take a bath(again).

Oh, I also snagged a beaver today but that is another story. :o

All and all, a good day.
3 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: another good day, Pt. 3

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:24 pm

All in all, a pretty entertaining story, Wiz. Seems like it was a wash between you and the Walleye; everyone came out of the battle alive and clean.

But this is the story I want to hear about now.
The Wiz wrote: ... I also snagged a beaver today but that is another story. :o
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:40 pm

That's one you'll always remember. Good for you. Great story.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Great day... I would like to hear the beaver tale as well. :D
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:12 am

Funny that you would go through all that to catch him, only to let him go. I'm glad you did, sounds like he deserved to live..................
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:35 pm

The beaver story is not as exciting as my almost swim, catch, and release. The account as follows:

This incident takes place about three hours before the almost swim and on the same creek. A road goes over the creek with three culverts handling the water. The water is high and fast due to a couple of days rain. I was fishing from it, letting the current take the lure and push it toward the bank that nobody can get to. Nice overhangs and hiding places. While doing so, I spotted movement to my right, next to bridge and on the bank. It was a beaver gathering grass and sticks. Now, I was use to seeing the beaver going up and down the stream all spring but I was never this close before. I slowly put the rod down with the line still out and got my phone out to take pictures. I started taking pictures as it left the bank and start swimming down steam on the same bank side as my line. I was so engrossed that I forgot about my line being out until I hear a scrapping sound at my feet. My rod was being pulled into the creek. My first thought was a fish had grabbed my line but soon realized that the critter had been snagged by lure. I had grabbed the rod and with the brake was still on, it was clicking like all get out. Before I could react the lure pop free and came winging back at me. Luckily I was to far away for a hit. As for the beaver...he just kept on trucking with the sticks and such in his mouth. And that folks, as Paul Harvey use to say, is the rest of the story.
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Congratulations on getting fish.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member