Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Another good day but an ethical decision perhaps

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Another good day but an ethical decision perhaps

Post by The Wiz » Mon May 28, 2018 10:28 pm

Was bank fishing in this back water pond when a flash of white in water caught my eye. It was a Koi fish about 18 inches long and very healthy looking ,working through the weeds. I kept Koi for awhile and I believe the species was a Kohaku ( white body with orange markings ). Not a cheap fish given its size. It was probably dumped when it was younger and then thrived. I got to thinking. What if I happen to catch him. Would I release him? It's a catch and release state park but that would be releasing a non native fish back into a pond although it is a carp. I would not feel right about just letting it die on the bank. If I was really prepared I could transport it and sell it for maybe 50 or 60 bucks (not happening). Thoughts?
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: Another good day but an ethical decision perhaps

Post by Mistered » Mon May 28, 2018 10:37 pm

My thoughts are if you don't feel right about letting it die on the bank then stop fishing in a catch and release only area - a high percentage of fish die from catch an release as it is.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 29, 2018 11:33 am

For the sake of the ecology, it would be good to remove it from the pond, I agree, but I wouldn't take matter into my own hands. I'd inform park officials and let it go at that. It's their duty to maintain the pond.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed May 30, 2018 11:42 am

I would recommend putting in a call to the park officials and ask them what they want you to do. Remove the non-native fish from the catch and release waters, or release it back. They may not WANT that fish in the park.

A friend of ours was fishing in a state park a few years ago and caught a huge Pacu in one of the twin lakes in the park. It was the size of a dinner plate. He called the Park Ranger's number on the park permit and they thanked him for calling and not only asked him NOT to release the fish, but showed up to take pictures of the fish and document the size and weight. He was told he would be allowed to keep the fish if he wanted it to eat (blech), but he gave it to them to put in the park aquarium. They said it was probably released into the park illegally by someone who had imported it, and didn't have the heart to kill it. It is a non native aggressive fish from South America, a relative of the Piranha. An article appeared in the monthly fish and game magazine about the fish, and the related damage done by releasing the Snakeheads.. which is now a big problem in VA, and a bigger problem in FL.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed May 30, 2018 5:22 pm

Funny thing though, I recently saw an article that said many see the snakeheads in FL as a new class of game fish. Hard hitting, hard fighing, exciting top water strikes, and nowhere near as damaging to the ecosystem as first thought.
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Thu May 31, 2018 5:35 am

As already noted we have a BIG problem with non-native species here. The Mayan Cichlid another predatory S. American Cichlid can tolerate brackish and salt water making it a real threat to snook and redfish populations. A few years back I was working with Mote Marine doing baby snook sampling in the backwaters and the Myans were doing a number on baby snook. Further south in the state they have taken advantage of the non-native invasion by starting fishing charters for them including Mayan's, Oscars, Guapote, etc. The canal I live on is infested with sailfin mollies. Has turned out to be beneficial as the bass feast on them and we use flies that imitate the mollies to catch bass. The wildlife management here encourages people who catch non-native species to destroy the fish and not release them back into the wild. I have not seen any articles describing snakeheads "as a new class of game fish" and would like to read it if you have a link.
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu May 31, 2018 10:06 pm

Talked to park rangers. They are aware of the Koi population in the pond. I guess there has been a stable population in the pond for quite awhile. The pond is actual an old 1890 or so gravel pit that has filled in over the last century. The farmer who owned it stocked it with catfish and it is now known locally as a catfish hole. It is separated from the other lakes, not connected in any way. They did not say so in so may words but they did not want to mess with the balance of what is a pretty good recreational fishery.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Bugs wrote:As already noted we have a BIG problem with non-native species here. The Mayan Cichlid another predatory S. American Cichlid can tolerate brackish and salt water making it a real threat to snook and redfish populations. A few years back I was working with Mote Marine doing baby snook sampling in the backwaters and the Myans were doing a number on baby snook. Further south in the state they have taken advantage of the non-native invasion by starting fishing charters for them including Mayan's, Oscars, Guapote, etc. The canal I live on is infested with sailfin mollies. Has turned out to be beneficial as the bass feast on them and we use flies that imitate the mollies to catch bass. The wildlife management here encourages people who catch non-native species to destroy the fish and not release them back into the wild. I have not seen any articles describing snakeheads "as a new class of game fish" and would like to read it if you have a link.
Bugs,

It has been a while since I read the article and don't remember where I read it, but if you google snakehead fishing in Florida, you can watch YouTube Videos of guided snakehead fishing trips in south Florida in the canals. Several of the guides talk about what a great fighter they are and what an addition they are to the target species in the waterways.

I haven't lived in Florida since I was a teen, so I don't really speak for the Sunshine State, but I do know that when I worked for Game and Inland Fisheries here in VA, you were required to KILL the snakeheads here. That was back around the mid 2000s. So I would be accurate in my posting, I looked up the current regs...

Here in VA, you are no longer required to kill the snakeheads you catch, you "can" release them. YOU MUST kill any you plan to keep and eat. You may not be in possession of a live snakehead in VA. There was a you tube vid of the Shock Audits of a creek here that had both snakeheads and bass in the same area so the myths of the snakeheads that were flying around when they first showed up are being debunked. They don't eradicate the bass in the areas they inhabit. They don't walk across land..

I am NOT an expert... by far. I still would like to catch a monster snakehead on the fly... but they don't live in my area.
;)
1 x