Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Not always as planned.

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Not always as planned.

Post by Squatch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm also on a fishing forum for smallmouth bass. From time to time someone hosts a rodeo or get together in various parts of the country. I just got back from an Ozark Rodeo.

1,000 miles one way to get there from the east. I spent the 1st night on the road in the campground at Carter Caves State Resort park in KY. A regular spot for us to stop when traveling but 1st time in the campground. It was crazy busy for a Sunday night.

I rolled out early and headed to the Southfork resort. http://www.southforkresort.com/

I got in early Monday evening. This was to be the base camp for the week of fishing. Our host and another fella showed up shortly after I did. Nice evening and up in the am to fish and canoe.

One fella had to run to town for a license so we went up stream to do a 10 mile float. This was my undoing. I decided to use my friends boat which was already loaded on his truck instead of my own solo canoe. His boat handles much differently than mine. So we caught some nice fish early on. Then I flipped his boat gently on a small ledge and had to get the water out of the boat.

I little later I did it again in some stiffer water and ended up getting my foot wedged under a rock with the canoe full of water against my legs. I had to jerk my foot out as I got bowled over by the boat. Thought I broke some toes but ended up that I didn't. But did cut the top of my foot pretty good. Before the day was over I flipped yet again. I felt pretty rookie before the day was over. I haven't swam in a long time from a canoe. I dumped 3 times total that day.

When we made it back to camp the other 3 folks to join our group had arrived. We had a fine evening swapping lies and yarns. Next day Wed I ran shuttles as I didn't want to submerse my cut foot again in water with cows standing in it. I also ran into town to replace my drowned phone. The day ended with another good evening with fine folks. One of which had dumped on the same ledge that got me.

Thursday was the last day for the late arriving folks as they had yet another date for the weekend. I bugged out for home to tend to my wounds. On the way home I stayed at Mammoth Cave National Park in the campground. It was busy but quiet. I got back in Friday evening having driven 2,200 miles and spent 5 nights in the FWC.

It wasn't the way I wanted the week to work out but sometimes things happen this way. I've had a long smooth run for a while so was probably due. I made few less than perfect decisions. I forgot my dry bags and spare paddle. Unfamiliar water in an unfamiliar boat. Rusty skills and probably more than a little overconfident. But I survived and had a good time in spite of myself. The foot is healing fine but will be sore a while.

Did I mention I also forgot my camera? :roll:
Last edited by Squatch on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Travlin
Cowboy

Re: Not always as planned.

Post by Travlin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:53 pm

Sorry you had such a difficult trip. When you have had enough of capsizing a canoe, check out a Gheenoe. They were invented by someone who was tired of loosing gear when a canoe tipped over. I hope that your foot heals and you have no long term problems with it.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:31 am

talk about a trip full of memories, you've sure added one to your list .. ;) .. if everything had of gone perfectly, you wouldn't have anywhere near as many stories to share .... sure wish you'd of remembered the camera, I bet that part of the country was beautiful .... good to hear you are back and not too much the worse for wear ... 8-) ... I do want to thank you for reinforcing one of my long, long time rules .... that being not to get into a boat that I can't turn a key or pull a rope and hear the rumble of an motor .. :D
1 x

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:46 am

Gheenoe's are cool boats. But not for this kind of water!

Motors have their uses. So does quiet!
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:40 am

You went fishing but ended up having an adventure. 8-)
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:15 pm

It sounds like you could have had a better time, but I'm glad you survived to tell us. Things have a way of unraveling at times.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:55 pm

Miss Tina and I love fishing from our kayaks, and the rule of thumb for those who do, is this....
There are those who have capsized, and those who will. :D

Years ago, we had had a long cold winter and were blessed with an unusually warm February Day.... ;) We couldn't wait to get on the small lake just minutes from the house in the state park. We loaded the kayaks on the trailer and headed out. It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm with no wind to speak of, and I violated one of the golden rules, I dressed for the air temperature and not the water temperature. :? (Swing batter batter batter, Steee rike, ONE.) We had been fishing about Forty Five minutes if I remember correctly, and Tina was fishing a small cove just about 50 yards behind me, and I was working the entrance to another cove. I reached deep behind me with the baitcaster to skip a lure under an overhanging bush on the shaded shoreline, where historically the big boys liked to hide from the sun... and snapped the cast.

The lure hooked the rod in the vertical holder behind my seat and flipped it into the water beside me. :o Let me clarify... the lure hooked the BRAND new rod and reel combo in the rod holder and flipped it into the water beside me. I heard the splash and looked down to see the $200 combo sinking and made a quick grab.. :) .. and missed. :x I leaned quickly over and grabbed the rod and snagged it. 8-) 8-) It was then I realized my mistake...

:shock: When teaching new folks to kayak, I remind them that your head is a big bowling ball, and you MUST keep it centered in the kayak and the kayak will follow the weight of the bowling ball. In leaning just a bit farther to grab the rod... :? ... I had shifted that big gourd of mine out over the water and induced the kayak to ... ah... roll. (He can'thit Hecan't hit Strike Two!)

With a paddle across my lap, I could have dropped the rod(s) and grabbed the paddle, and performed a low brace, pushing the blade flat against the water, and saving myself... but I had put the paddle in the paddle dock, on the side of the kayak to get it out of the way.... (Strike Three batter, Yer Out.) In What seemed like slow motion, the kayak rolled toward my arm in the water and I went in head first. :o :shock: The water was about 36 degrees. The shock expelled all the water from my lungs and I couldn't move. All my joints locked up. Luckily, I had followed my iron clad rule and worn my PFD, it brought me to the surface. My hands clenched... and I still had a rod in each one. ;)

Gear was floating everywhere, known in kayaking circles as a yard sale. I looked for Miss Tina, and she was paddling toward me, but seemed to be having trouble. :roll: She was laughing so hard she couldn't seem to get into a rhythm. :twisted: :evil: Real funny. I'm freezing, she is laughing her but off. Took her five minutes to paddle fifty yards while I can't breathe I'm so cold.

When she gets there, I hand her the rods, and perform a self rescue climbing back on the sit on top. I go to turn over to the sitting postiion, and fall out the other side. Tina loses it and almost falls OUT of her kayak laughing. :D :lol: :) Funny, when you are already cold, the water doesn't shock you as bad the second time.

Paddled to shore, pulled the dry bag from the hatch and had two towels and a change of clothes. Didn't take long for the sun to warm me up.
"We can go home," she said.
"Nope," I said, "I'm warm now, I'm staying, I EARNED this one."

YOU are right, they don't always go the way you hope.
Glad you had a great trip anyway.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.