Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Salt Water Kayak Fishing

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Salt Water Kayak Fishing

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:43 am

Yup, we did Rig Up and go out salt water kayak fishing, did so for years. Finally the drive got too much for us.

There was a lot more to be concerned with so we put safety first. We had radios to communicate between fisherman and we could all the Coast Guard if need be. We had flares and spare paddles if one broke or was washed overboard. If we didn't know the area, we fished with those who did our bought charts and talked to the folks in the bait shops and checked for hazards before entering the area. Visibility... we made SURE we were visible. You don't usually find HIGH speed boats the likes of which you find on salt water when you fish the river and the ponds, but you get on open salt water and OMG... :o So being visible, especially if night fishing... and an air horn. LOUD, air horn. BIG one. :lol:

Yup, we made sure WE could be seen. But there were payoffs. I loved the nice hookups in salt water. We did keep a few redfish, and THEY were tasty.

Tina's Striper fishing the Hampton Road's Bridge Tunnel at night... called fishing the light line.

My light line striper, 28" and towed me for a ride. The bridge lights cast a shadow and you either sit in the dark and cast into the light, or you sit in the light and cast into the dark under the bridge. The strikes normally come as the bait crosses the shadow line. Blues in the upper water column, and the striper in the lower column. The hobie kayaks were perfect for this type fishing, pedaling just enough to hold your position. :)

Nice Reds were available as well, this one caught in Rudee Inlet in Va Beach. It became dinner.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Salt Water Kayak Fishing

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:30 am

That's a great looking pair of kayaks you have. I like your rigs. I just saw a nice build this weekend for a crate like your milk crates. I'm thinking of modifying my five gallon pail for the canoe into something else, more useful.

Those fish look great and tasty.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member