Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Jim's Citation Smallie

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Jim's Citation Smallie

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 am

Our kayak fishing group would do what we called River Raids, years ago. We would put in and float the river with a group from the online forum, fishing, floating, having lunch on the river and just having a good time. As a forum member I initiated the term and the concept twenty plus years ago and it spread around to the other fishing forums. It is a great way to meet the names you see every day and put faces with them, and to have a great time. On our first River Raid, we floated the Upper James River from Scottsville to Hardware fishing mainly for Small mouth bass. I decided to take only my fly rods and was lucky enough to have a great day. I had never caught a small mouth but hooked over a dozen. Just above the Hardware River takeout, I hooked what turned out to be a Virginia State Citation. Twenty and a Half inches.

Small mouth bass fight like tigers and are a fun fish to catch. I got several pictures of this fish, then turned her loose to make more small mouth.
We have made this float several times over the years and it's always been a great way to spend the day. Also available on this float, are the infamous Alligator Gar, but you would want to throw at least a Seven Weight Fly Rod.. :lol: DAMHIKT.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Les
Cowboy
South Africa

Re: Jim's Citation Smallie

Post by Les » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:12 am

Nice fish, BM. That looks like a great way to enjoy a day out! Image
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:25 am

You never know what you'll see when you float the river. Deer, cows, fox, bobcats, all come to the river to drink. THIS was a shock. In the center of the river we spotted an otter with his lunch, a freshwater eel. HE was not happy to have the six of us floating past that morning and slipped into the water and swam past us toward shore. He hissed as he passed within a few feet of my yak. I was in a low sided Ride 115 that day, and happy that he didn't want to climb aboard and discuss River Rights.

4 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Marine, I love your photographs nearly as much as your signature. I'm so glad you're here, Sir. The flavor of the forum has been greatly enhanced.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:41 am

Great photographs. It looks like a lot of fun.

I really love that signature too!
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Squatch
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Squatch » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:50 am

That's a nice smallie.

Are you on http://www.riversmallies.com/forum/forum.php ?
0 x
Any load data discussed by me is for entertainment purposes only. I can not condone or be responsible for it's use by others.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:42 am

Squatch,

No, but I know, or used to know, a lot of folks on the site... some before they became famous on youtube, back when they were just "little" ;) I would see the guys at ARC demo days, or river floats on the James. I had a beautifully rigged Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140, then Jeff had me try his 160I... :oops:

Sold the 140... bought a 160I and was in that until I got the Hobie Adventure a couple years later. 8-) The 160 was a fast yak and smooth thru the water, great for larger lakes.
0 x