Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Kayak Fly Fishing

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Kayak Fly Fishing

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Bugs, for sure, that stealth thing is also evident with animals other than fish. Have gotten very close to otters, mink, muskrats and other wildlife, too. Have found otters to be especially curious.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:26 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Bugs, for sure, that stealth thing is also evident with animals other than fish. Have gotten very close to otters, mink, muskrats and other wildlife, too. Have found otters to be especially curious.
Too close is a phrase we are familiar with. :shock:
Fishing far back in a large rural reservoir, Miss Tina had a huge Beaver try and climb IN her Commander. She finally had to whack it with the paddle to keep it out. :roll:

It was hairy there for a few minutes. It went away, but it went away mad. We left that cove, just in case.
She didn't injure it.... I could have done that easily with my SIG 45, but that's not who we are. She just got the Beaver's attention. The beaver probably had kits nearby. Or maybe we interrupted lunch.

Close was a pleasure with the Hobies in FL. While fishing around the bridge in Destin, two pods of Dolphins stopped in to play with us for over an hour. I shot about 200 pics with the digital slr and got some great shots. I captured tail walks, and Flipper style flips. They seemed to be fascinated by the Hobie mirage drive (pedal) system. They would swim under the kayaks and roll over and look up at the drives. They led us around in large loops in the area, charged at us at high speed and dove under at the last minute, and jumped over Tina and laughed at her. The folks on shored cheered at their antics. If we lost them, one of the dolphins would come back, pop up, as if to say, "Ah... over here?" Then the fun would start again. After about an hour... the largest of them... popped up and called. ALL TURNED and the headed out to deep water, then hit overdrive and were gone... 8-)
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Now that with the Dolphins is WAY cool. Hope I never have a Moose that tries that, though.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Your fishing talk has me hoping to get out in my canoe soon. I'm looking forward to getting some fishing time in.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Me, too, but we've yet to have ice out. In fact, some friends report excellent ice fishing.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:01 pm

I was going to try ice fishing this winter, but the weather was too warm locally and our time at camp was too limited.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:26 am

Be careful with Dolphins. I used to free dive with them when I was a scuba instructor in Guam. For the most part they are highly entertaining but they can and do bite. Here in FL they can be a pest. We have had them hang around/under the flats boat waiting for us to release caught fish. Which they then kill and devour. Gets to be a real problem when you are trying to release an undersized snook for example. I have witnessed several tourists attempt to feed dolphins and then get bit. When I am fishing an area and the blow sharks show up I leave; they either scare off or kill any available fish anyway.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:58 am

Bugs wrote:Be careful with Dolphins. I used to free dive with them when I was a scuba instructor in Guam. For the most part they are highly entertaining but they can and do bite. Here in FL they can be a pest. We have had them hang around/under the flats boat waiting for us to release caught fish. Which they then kill and devour. Gets to be a real problem when you are trying to release an undersized snook for example. I have witnessed several tourists attempt to feed dolphins and then get bit. When I am fishing an area and the blow sharks show up I leave; they either scare off or kill any available fish anyway.
Thanks for the advice. Diving... ;) I remember it fondly. I had a three year tour with a SAR squadron in Hawaii. Diving in Hawaii was amazing. When I got orders back to NC I sold all my gear to a newbie just starting with the club. :D :lol:
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:10 pm

I have been adding some pictures of late, thought I would throw this one up, folks often share stories, and fish stories are the worst... folks always thinking... "Yeah Right".... Here is the pic...

Here is the FLIPPER jump... the dang thing jumped right out of the water and looked right into the camera and grinned. The folks on the beach were clapping.

Here is one of the Tailwalk. He just danced along beside my kayak, laughing the whole time. The pod seemed to be having as much fun as we were.

As we'd paddle along, all the sudden a group from the pod would pop up beside the kayaks, pace along beside the Hobies for a few minutes and then put on a burst of speed and fly away, duck under the surface and disappear. "Showing off" their speed I assumed. They played for over an hour, as I said before... and seemed to really have a great time. We never felt threatened. 8-)

It was a great end to the day, A good time was had by all.
2 x

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:16 pm

That is awesome! We always enjoy watching them off the coast in Maryland, but never as close as you could observe them.
0 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001