Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Mercury V12 600HP Verado Outboard

Freshwater saltwater Lakes, Ponds, Rivers, Streams talk about the ones that got away. Show us the ones that didn't.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Mercury V12 600HP Verado Outboard

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Yup SeaRays were first class all the way. I really like CoBalts also. Nice boat CT
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:55 pm

the Wellcraft Excell shown below is the largest boat we've ever owned .... the previous owners took it from the US to the Bahamas and back twice .... we towed it as far west as Estelline, SD and made two trips in it from Winona, MN to Prairie du Chien, WI (about 200 miles round trip) down the Mississippi .... it had a Volvo motor and outdrive .... we had visions of developing a place on the Inland Waterway at the NC coast and using it to run the waterway; as well as, just off shore
Attachments
excel.jpg
excel.jpg (68.94 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:35 pm

Nice to hear from you Stan!
Savor those beautiful memories. You have probably kept your pain in perspective, however, I know some pain lives on.
God speed to you...
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:52 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:00 pm
Sea Ray made a gorgeous boat. Maybe still do.
Sea Ray's classic boat lines; fit and finish of a production boat was always appealing to me. Just last week they introduced a 37ft (?) open bow day boat with a cabin (or salon as they are referred to if you're holding a glass of wine with your pinky in the air :lol: ) that has big a55 twin outboards. It would be interesting to witness the outboards independently operate when crabbing the boat up to a dock in a cross wind.
0 x
Jeff

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:29 am

Here is our home afloat Stray Cats underway on pool 10 of the Upper Mississippi...not far from Prairie Du Chein, WI. It was born in 2006; we were fortunate to see a portion of her being built at the Sea Ray plant in Knoxville, TN. We've traveled as far north as Still Water, MN on several occasions. I really believe time spent in the woods or on the water adds time to the end of one's life.
Attachments
IMG_0286.jpg
IMG_0286.jpg (71.56 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
3 x
Jeff

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:03 am

I am really glad you SeaRay owners have good boats. My 1988 Sundancer 250 was built in Arizona. The overall workmanship was simply horrible - junk wiring, poorly routed and supported plumbing, exposed wood stringers in the bilge, unsupported holding and fresh tanks... The Mercruiser had lots of issues, like dying just as you tried to get into reverse while approaching a dock (poorly designed and sticky ignition cutout linkage), but that wasn’t SeaRay’s fault. They used regular silicone sealer on all the deck fittings, so when it failed six months later (it doesn’t stick to stainless steel) water entered at all those holes at the rails, cleats, windshield and hatches. The balsa core (!!!!) deck swelled and delaminated, water would literally squirt up out of those fittings when you walked on it. After six weeks the SeaRay tech rep tried to “fix” it. He drilled a bunch of holes up into the headliner and water steamed out. He then injected epoxy up there while it was still soaked, needless to say that was a complete wasted effort, all it did was wreck the headliner. They trucked it back to the factory for a new deck. I insisted that they use the correct marine sealants and the repair was fine, but it took four MONTHS and completely wrecked that boating season for me, which is pretty short here.

It also destroyed the boat’s resale value.... If it had been out of warranty (I don’t recall the terms 12 months?) the boat would have been declared scrap. So I do not see much quality when I look at a SeaRay... how is your deck, and the hidden rats nest wiring, and the electrical splices of twisted wire and electrical tape, and the untreated plywood under the seat cushions and vinyl covered wood dash, and the rusting steel staples there?😬

If I ever buy another boat it will be welded aluminum.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Last edited by John E Davies on Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:21 am

Unfortunately there are lemons with all products once in awhile, whether it be boats or firearms. Sorry about your experience, ours was nothing but happy sailing.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:27 am

Agreed. Right across from me sits a Dutch Star made by Newmar. There are like 5 of these within a few spaces of my 5er. Im not sure what they cost but if I had to guess it would be at least 500K or more. One right across from me is having issues right now. Doesnt matter what you spent for something those gremlins are there
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Stray Cat » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 am

If you have ever owned a boat, then you know what B.O.A.T. stands for :lol: and for the most part, it is true. I've never owned one, but presume an RV could follow in the same terminology. I'd also take it a step further, "If it has boobies, tires, or propellers, eventually it's going to give you trouble". :P
0 x
Jeff

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:04 am

Stray Cat wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 am
If you have ever owned a boat, then you know what B.O.A.T. stands for :lol: and for the most part, it is true. I've never owned one, but presume an RV could follow in the same terminology. I'd also take it a step further, "If it has boobies, tires, or propellers, eventually it's going to give you trouble". :P
I heard long ago, " A boat is like a hole in the water you pour money into "
Have been in many, but never owned one.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry