Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Wadcutter Experiment - UPDATED

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Wadcutter Experiment - UPDATED

Post by Headhog » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:39 pm

I'm out of 357 bullet heads I use for reloading my 357 Mag loads for my BBS. (My order from Missouri Bullets won't be here until the end of October.) Well rummaging under my reloading bench, I found about 800 - 148 gr. wadcutters that I used for 38 spl. loads many years ago. So I've come up with an idea to experiment with these in 357 Mag cases and load them out about .25" so they are close to a 357 Mag cartridge. I put together a few dummy rounds to see if these would feed in the BBS and they worked through the action like butter. So now on to making some real rounds and test them at the range.

My plan is to load these to a recommended 357 Mag. round using Universal powder. Hodgdon list this combination in their data using 3.5 - 4.0 gr of Universal and developing about 880-989 fps. The only difference from Hodgdon's data will be the overall length. Their data shows this wadcutter loaded almost flush with the case mouth. (The way I've typically loaded these bullets.) I'll report back after i make my next range trip with these loads.

Paul
Last edited by Headhog on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Wadcutter Experiment

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:02 pm

sounds like a good way to make use of 800 wadcutters .... looking forward to your coming range reports .... hopefully you can post pictures showing the bullets beside some other regular 357's
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:06 pm

One must use all his resources when things are in short supply
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:40 am

Sounds like a great plan! Impressed that a full wadcutter will cycle thru the Henry.
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Wadcutter Experiment - UPDATED

Post by Headhog » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:09 pm

Here's the results of my experiment. There's good news and bad news, but first the good news.

These loads function through my Henry BBS perfectly. They shoot like a kitty cat sneeze. And appear the have very good accuracy. Below are pictures with the results.

The first picture are these rounds coming off my RCBS progressive press.
Press setup
Press setup
IMG_1732.jpg (148.44 KiB) Viewed 698 times
The second picture is for comparison. Left to right is the 148 gr. wadcutter I'm using for this load. Middle is a completed wadcutter load and right is a 158 gr. Nosler 357 Mag. load for comparison.
loads
loads
IMG_1771.jpg (219.67 KiB) Viewed 698 times

Final picture is the bench rest results of a 5 shot group at 35 yards.
Target Results
Target Results
IMG_1736.jpg (178.04 KiB) Viewed 698 times

As you cans see these wadcutter rounds produce a great group, have very light recoil and cycle through the action without a problem. Now for the bad news.

After loading 10 rounds in the mag tube getting the mag tube follower back is a little tricky. The tube seems to catch on some rounds as you slide it back down. Not a big deal just back it up a little and shake the rifle and continue on. After two or three tries you get the hang of it. Just a slight inconvenience.

I did run some over the chrono and the are running about 800 fps. I expected them to run over 900 fps but what the heck they are fun and easy to shoot. Just one last thought, because these loads are low pressure, the cases are very sooty from lack of expansion. Just like I would see on my 45ACP semi wadcutter Bullseye loads.

Paul
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Headhog wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:39 pm
My plan is to load these to a recommended 357 Mag. round using Universal powder. Hodgdon list this combination in their data using 3.5 - 4.0 gr of Universal and developing about 880-989 fps. The only difference from Hodgdon's data will be the overall length. Their data shows this wadcutter loaded almost flush with the case mouth.
I'm curious, Paul. Why did you want the COL longer than Hodgdon recommends for that bullet in a .357 cartridge?
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:04 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:31 pm
Headhog wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:39 pm
My plan is to load these to a recommended 357 Mag. round using Universal powder. Hodgdon list this combination in their data using 3.5 - 4.0 gr of Universal and developing about 880-989 fps. The only difference from Hodgdon's data will be the overall length. Their data shows this wadcutter loaded almost flush with the case mouth.
I'm curious, Paul. Why did you want the COL longer than Hodgdon recommends for that bullet in a .357 cartridge?
I had a concern that loading the round flush (or just slightly protruding) might impact how the rounds fed from the magazine. I first experimented with some 38 spl wadcutter loads that I had and they wound not feed at all. I was getting 2 rounds at a time out of the magazine and it would jam up the action completely. I reasoned that for the magazine to feed properly a round has to be at least as long as a loaded 38 spl. with round nose bullet. So that lead me to load the wadcutters out.
2 x