Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CCI Quiet... how quiet?

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

CCI Quiet... how quiet?

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:05 pm

With us doing mostly back yard shooting with the air guns, this summer, we decided to look at possibly adding some backyard rimfire shooting to the mix. Our one self-imposed limitation on the rimfire shooting is that we wanted it to be quiet, basically no louder than shooting our air guns. In addition to testing for loudness, we also wanted to test for accuracy with the 22 LR to compare it with our air guns at 30 yards. No sense in bothering to shoot rimfire if we couldn't at least get reasonable 30 yard accuracy.

The guns we used for testing purposes were our Benjamin 397P pump up for the air gun, since pump ups are fairly loud as air guns go, since there is no potential for adding a shroud or moderator as on a PCP.

For the 22 LR, I chose one of my favorites in the Winchester 1885 Low Wall Hunter 22 LR with its 24" barrel. This is not the most accurate 22 LR we own, but it is no slouch and it's a gun I know very well. Definitely one of my favorites.

Ammo for the 22 LR consisted of 22 CB Shorts and CCI 22 LR Quiet.

Loudness test
My sound judge was my husband Bill, who stayed up on our raised deck, while I did my shooting down in the yard on our 30 yard range, a good 20 yards from Bill.

I started off shooting the Benjamin air rifle with 4 pumps and followed with the CB 22 Shorts. I repeated the test four times. Bill rated the CB Shorts as just a touch quieter than the air gun with 4 pumps.

I then switched to the CCI 22 LR Quiet. Bill rated it as just a touch louder than the Benjamin air rifle with 4 pumps, but rated the CCI Quiet as just a touch quieter than the Benjamin with 6 pumps.

Conclusion: The CB Shorts and the CCI Quiet were very similar the Benjamin pump air gun in loudness. Not really surprised, but good to have it confirmed. When shooting either type of gun, the noise of the projectile hitting the metal backstop would be louder. Note that neither the Benjamin pump or the 22 LR rifle with CB Shorts is as quiet as a PCP air rifle with a moderator, but pretty close. I would still rate both as passing the backyard friendly test.

Accuracy
Here's where the quiet rimfire loads take a hit. This kind of rimfire ammo is not target grade ammo. It's definitely not match ammo or 50 yard ammo. It's designed for short range work, the closer, the better.

CB 22 Shorts.
At thirty yards, accuracy was pretty bleak, even with the excellent Winchester single shot. I had no luck getting 5 consecutive shots without a flier. At 30 yards, the best I could do was two decent shots and three flyers. I would highly recommend keeping distances 20 yards or less with any CB round.

CCI 22 LR Quiet
I did much better at thirty yards with the CCI Quiet. I still got a few fliers I blamed on the ammo, but only on an every now and then basis. Groups could still not match the third of an inch groups I can get with the scoped Benjamin pump or one of the PCP air rifles at 30 yards, but I did get half inch groups at 30 yards often enough to know they weren't flukes. Here's one of them.

For the sake of comparison, this half inch group shot with the Winchester single shot at 30 yards with the CCI Quiet matches what this same Winchester Low Wall can do at 50 yards with premium 22 LR Match ammo.

Conclusion
To wrap it all up, Bill and I are quite pleased that we can shoot our rimfires in the backyard with quiet rimfire ammo and be no louder than than when shooting our airguns. Accuracy at 30 yards with the CCI Quiet won't quite keep up with our high grade air guns, but is still good enough for serious practice shooting. (Only issue, now, is availability on CCI Quiet and other types of rimfire ammo.)

Life is good.
4 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: CCI Quiet... how quiet?

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Ammo might be quiet but your deadly accuracy is loud and clear. Nice.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:54 pm

thanks for posting you research and its results .... now I can't help but wonder how the 22 CB Shorts and CCI 22 LR Quiet ammo would rank with 22LR fired though a single shot rifle equipped with one to the legal threaded silencer .. :?:
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:47 pm

Thanks, guys. Appreciate it.

JEBar, assuming the rifle with the silencer is capable and you use match ammo, my money would be on it. A silencer should have no effect on accuracy. A rifle is only as good as the ammo you feed it and, as I said, CBs and the CCI Quiet are definitely not match or even standard grade target ammo.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:34 am

Great shooting! Your not so good shooting is better than my best.

Question: were you concerned at all about squibs with the 24” barrel?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:09 am

Thanks, Gene. Good point.

Yes, squibs are definitely a possibility with this low powered rimfire ammo. You have to be alert to any shot that sounds "off" or "different" and check your barrel if need be. That's why I do not wear hearing protection with this ammo. You really don't need hearing protection at this noise level, anyway, but it's more about being alert to anything that sounds different. It's also why I favor guns like the single shot I used. Any action that allows you to quickly check for a blocked bore is a plus. Single shots and bolt guns that allow you to quickly remove the bolt and inspect the bore are what I prefer. You can certainly use lever guns and pumps, but do be alert.

Part of the squibb issue with this low noise rimfire ammo is less than stellar QC to keep the price down. That same inconsistent velocity shot to shot, contributes to the accuracy issue.

Now, down to cases. Squibs happen and I've had one using Aquila Super Colibri (a CB round) in a CZ Trainer with its 24" barrel. The bullet never made it out of the barrel. I heard something different with that round, so I pulled the bolt and checked the bore.

For you fellow CZ fans, please note that CZ 22 LR bores do run tight. I've noticed this when cleaning my various rimfire rifles after a day's shooting. Running the same patch down the bore of the CZs was a tighter fit. If you plan to shoot CBs with a CZ, I'd recommend staying with the shorter 20" barrels, at least.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:04 pm

Yep....I love plinking with either the Quiets or CB's at the range on a Sunday! I guess I could get away with a few in the backyard but no powder burners are to be discharged within city limits for target or hunting use. And great shooting NCG!!

Plinking with Henry Pump and Quiets. https://youtu.be/vA6vYBb0vwU
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:03 pm

Enjoyed the vid, forty. I liked that silhouette target. Is it a shoot to reset or do you have to do it manually?
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:11 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:03 pm
Enjoyed the vid, forty. I liked that silhouette target. Is it a shoot to reset or do you have to do it manually?
Well manual for right now. The other one...the traveling ducks resets as they roll under the stand.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:28 pm

Thanks. We've been using regulation air pistol silhouettes. Those little guys go flying when we hit them, even with our low powered air pistols. Would love to get a resettable silhouette target.
0 x