Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

What ammo does the Russian like best?

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

What ammo does the Russian like best?

Post by PT7 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:32 am

Took my 1874 Russian top-break to the range yesterday. Last week's range time reminded me how much fun this revolver is to shoot.

I shot my normal way -- off hand and one-handed at 10 yards. Made some adjust for windage (revolver has fixed iron sights) since I've been putting my POIs to left of bull. I tried a POA about 2"-3" to right of dead bull. Ended up with a little better-centered group than last week. Actually, I think there was a certain amount of "lucky wobble" for these shots. ;) Somehow found a wobble point pretty close to on target! I think part of the bit more accuracy was I didn't wait as long to fire; shot fairly quickly once I had the target in my sights. But I need more practice to be more consistent.

I'm trying to decide which ammo is best. I shot my least expensive .45 ammo, Choice 200gr RNFP, and the most expensive BHA 250gr RNFP. I do like shooting the BHA. The BHA POIs are seen in this target. Darn, I would have to like this more spendy ammo! And I think the Russian likes it more, too.

Thanks for looking.
PT7
BHA _3533_.jpg
BHA _3533_.jpg (113.56 KiB) Viewed 837 times
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: What ammo does the Russian like best?

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:52 am

PT, good shooting, pard. That's plenty accurate for 10 yard offhand work and that's a distance appropriate for cowboy action loads. Moving into standard loads would be a plus for accuracy work, but, of course, those will be more expensive. If your Uberti made 45 Colt is like mine, it does best with lead loads.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:45 pm

What is the trigger pull like? Are you planning on reloading for .45 Colt?
That is great one handed shooting! If you like shooting 45 Colt reloading is the way to go.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:18 pm

I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but the S/A "feels" very light. I don't notice it much when shooting, so must mean not a problem there. And I haven't been able to find the trigger pull spec in my internet searches.

No, I don't plan on reloading because I don't shoot that much. In my thinking, not cost effective. I've had the Russian five months and have shot around 500 rounds.

I do understand that working an efficient .45 Colt load could be fun however. I've pretty closely following RR's reloading ruminations, ESquared's foray into reloading .45 Colt, and many other Henry folk who are long-time reloaders. There is always high interest in reloading, and a lot of folk very much enjoy the activity. I agree that reloading is a huge part of the shooting sports. Just not for me at this time.

In fact, during this year I plan to shoot my Trapper .50CAL BP percussion pistol more often than the Russian. So planning more time in sending .490 RBs downrange than .45 Colt cartridges. :)

PT7
fortyshooter wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:45 pm
What is the trigger pull like? Are you planning on reloading for .45 Colt?
That is great one handed shooting! If you like shooting 45 Colt reloading is the way to go.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:33 pm

Yes, the two ammo brands I use are suitable and do me well, NCG. I don't need to go anywhere else other than cowboy action loads. Main shooting focus is always trying to keep that "wobble" from being too noticeable! I have that challenge with both the Russian and the Trapper, too. Plenty of "action" there to keep me well-interested and occupied! :) Range visits continue to be loads of fun with either of these handguns.

PT7
North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:52 am
PT, good shooting, pard. That's plenty accurate for 10 yard offhand work and that's a distance appropriate for cowboy action loads. Moving into standard loads would be a plus for accuracy work, but, of course, those will be more expensive. If your Uberti made 45 Colt is like mine, it does best with lead loads.
0 x

~Пока~