Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cold day at the range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Cold day at the range

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:59 am

I havent been to fond of cold for quite some time. Unless of course its a cold beer
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:15 am

Below 40 with wind is too much for me nowdays! Great shooting there even if it was a warm day!
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:40 pm

TMB wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:32 am
I liked this ammo. It seemed a bit more powerful than even the DoubleTapp 225 gr all copper +p that I have. It shoots straight at distances under 100 yards. I still want to try the deer grenade fr Buffalo Bore. It is an all lead gas checked round. Just to compare the two.

I don't mind the cold as long as I have a pair of gloves on. It really wasn't all that cold about 38 when I got there and the high was 41 yesterday. It does make my knees creaky and hands stiff though.

info appreciated .... everything I've heard about Buffalo Bore has been good but I've never fired a single round of it .... we load our own, most of our firearms don't even know that factory loads exist .. :roll: ..
2 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Ernie, we're having that same weather over here in Wisconsin. I don't mind shooting in the cold, per se. It's just that the cold keeps our range sessions short due mostly to cold hands, so not real practical to load up the car and make trips to the range for only a half-hour or so of shooting. Let's face it, shooting isn't exactly a high aerobics sport. I do get out in the cold every day in the winter, though, but it's doing very active sports like skiing, snowshoeing or hiking where I'm generating my own heat. That makes a big difference.
wintercoldrange.jpg
wintercoldrange.jpg (83.74 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
A few years ago, buddy and I lasted about 30 min at the range and decided to forget the planned 'yote hunt following. Home bound we went!
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:28 am

I'd have to be running laps to stay warm at -11. I don't think that would be a good hunting technique.
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:35 am

I have always been told to "dress for the weather" and for NC that is good advice. I get along with a lack of heat in the air fairly well but I'm not going anywhere the temp is -11°
1 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:09 am

Around here we have the opposite problem. In the summer the outdoor ranges are 95 degrees and 110% humidity. We get the occasional weather that is a little too cold for the outdoor range, but normally the only time to be comfy at the range is in the late fall, winter and early spring.

Fortunately, there is an indoor range a few minutes from my house. Annual membership is $125 and Clovispup also gets a card for that price. We get our money's worth from the annual membership. Biggest down side at the indoor is max distance of 25 yds. Since our primary interest is pistols, that's not a big issue. The Pup likes shooting the Henry at 25 yds, so that works as well.

We usually try and get a couple trips to the outdoor range every year.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:58 pm

I've only been in cold like that once. Even heavily bundled I couldn't take more than 10 minutes at time. Had work to do outside so had to brave it. At one point the plastic lens shrank just enough to drop out of eye glass frames. I had to find them in the snow and dark without gloves on.
wingnut wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 am
wintercoldrange.jpg

A few years ago, buddy and I lasted about 30 min at the range and decided to forget the planned 'yote hunt following. Home bound we went!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Mags wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:58 pm
I've only been in cold like that once. Even heavily bundled I couldn't take more than 10 minutes at time. Had work to do outside so had to brave it. At one point the plastic lens shrank just enough to drop out of eye glass frames. I had to find them in the snow and dark without gloves on.
that would be tough .... glad you were able to find them
0 x