Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cold day at the range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Cold day at the range

Post by TMB » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:39 pm

I ordered some Buffalo Bore 260 gr JHP +P ammo which arrived yesterday. Took it to the range today. Started at 50 yards. First shots were high and right made corrections by steadying the crosshairs on the center of the target and then moving them to the center of the group. The next shots were a bit high but in line. Made adjustment and was in the center group of 5 was about the size of a silver dollar.
I moved to the long range and set up at 100 yards. First shots were high and right. Made adjustments same as I did at 50. The next three were in line but low. Another slight adjustment put me in the diamond. Not a tight group but no more than six inches in diameter.
Text from Cathy said lunch was ready so I packed up and came home.
3 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Cold day at the range

Post by markiver54 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Cold and somewhat successful day. That is great, but I bet that text from Cathy was welcome.😁
I hate shooting in the cold.
I know RR up there in Alberta would probably think I'm a wimp though.🙄
Glad you got in some productive shooting time.👍
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Thought about going to the range but it was 10 degrees yesterday. Supposed to start warming up for the weekend to maybe 38 for a high. Had a feeling this was going to be an interesting winter season.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:06 pm

Ernie, we're having that same weather over here in Wisconsin. I don't mind shooting in the cold, per se. It's just that the cold keeps our range sessions short due mostly to cold hands, so not real practical to load up the car and make trips to the range for only a half-hour or so of shooting. Let's face it, shooting isn't exactly a high aerobics sport. I do get out in the cold every day in the winter, though, but it's doing very active sports like skiing, snowshoeing or hiking where I'm generating my own heat. That makes a big difference.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Haha..if I waited for warm weather I would only shoot 2 months a year...
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:25 pm

RanchRoper wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:32 pm
Haha..if I waited for warm weather I would only shoot 2 months a year...
I have to admire your acclimation and endurance for the weather you have become obviously used to RR!! :)
You as well NCG. Keeping the blood flowing is key....I'll say it... :roll: I have become a weather Wimp, even though I endured 20 years in Chicago, I need warmer weather, especially to shoot with any accuracy...short of a one or two shot kill if hunting. :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 pm

I'd appreciate hearing your assessment of shooting Buffalo Bore 260 gr JHP +P ammo as opposed to other brands you have used
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:55 pm

As we get older a lot of us seem to turn into 'cold' wimps. When younger I thought it would never happen to me. Now, older bones feel it more acutely.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Mags wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:55 pm
As we get older a lot of us seem to turn into 'cold' wimps. When younger I thought it would never happen to me. Now, older bones feel it more acutely.
you can add me to that group .... it sure doesn't seem like long ago I actually enjoyed getting up way before daylight in sub freezing temps, climbing up into a deer stand in the dark, and sitting there watching the sunrise .... no more, nope, no more
0 x

TMB
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TMB » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:32 am

JEBar wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 pm
I'd appreciate hearing your assessment of shooting Buffalo Bore 260 gr JHP +P ammo as opposed to other brands you have used
I liked this ammo. It seemed a bit more powerful than even the DoubleTapp 225 gr all copper +p that I have. It shoots straight at distances under 100 yards. I still want to try the deer grenade fr Buffalo Bore. It is an all lead gas checked round. Just to compare the two.

I don't mind the cold as long as I have a pair of gloves on. It really wasn't all that cold about 38 when I got there and the high was 41 yesterday. It does make my knees creaky and hands stiff though.
1 x
Henry H004ES Golden Boy Eagle Scout Tribute
Henry H004 Golden Boy .22 cal
Henry H006C Big Boy Classic .45 Colt

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong.” ... John Gierach