Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

SV vs HV (SGC test)

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Cowpokey
Wrangler
United States of America

SV vs HV (SGC test)

Post by Cowpokey » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Took the Small Game Carbine to the indoor range again today. I previously "zeroed" it at 25 yards with CCI Blazer HV, and wanted to see how CCI SV would do on paper at the same distance. The "zero" at 25 is exactly the same. I put 10 rounds inside a 1" diamond using both CCI SV and Blazers; at closer distances, it did pretty much the same grouping, smaller with respect to distance. Minute of Squirrel with everything I've put through the Henry carbines (SGC and Evil Roy) to 25 yards. Not that I'm surprised, but I thought the different velocities might show up (vertically) on paper.

My Ruger 10/22T (substantially upgraded, with a 6.5-18x scope) makes obvious with SV vs HV at 50 yards. HV spreads out beyond MOA, SV is sub-MOA; vertically it isn't really that much at 50 yards, 1/2" or so...IIRC, I only put SV through it now.
3 x
MSgt USAF - Retired, 1990-2014
VFW (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)

Chucksolo1
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: SV vs HV (SGC test)

Post by Chucksolo1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Very interesting. My H001 Classic and Golden boy shoot about the same at 25 yards. My H001 has a very cheap Walmart scope on it and it will literally shoot one ragged hole in the bullseye every time. And,.........that is using the bulk pack Remington Thunderbolt ammo. Last time I got twos failures to fire at the range. I just took those two cartridges, put them back in the magazine after waiting for five minutes and shot them again with no failures. I guess it's just the cheap ammo. I've never had a failure to fire with any other ammo but those cheap Remingtons.
1 x

Cowpokey
Wrangler
United States of America

Re: SV vs HV (SGC test)

Post by Cowpokey » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:24 pm

I still have a few 50rd boxes of Thunderbolts, they have to be over 20 years old...I ought to just take them to the range and burn through them. Thunderbolts I've had always were good on accuracy, but there will be fail to fire, some of them go bang the second time through.
0 x
MSgt USAF - Retired, 1990-2014
VFW (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)