Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

SGC new front sight...and an addition.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: SGC new front sight...and an addition.

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Thank you for the link and directions where to go! Have read and bookmarked it for reference should I decide to replace my original! You are proof....you can teach an old dog new tricks.😁
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cowpokey
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cowpokey » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:23 pm

It's actually pretty important to drift sights in and out from the correct side on Henry guns. Drifting them out, you are supposed to go from left to right (looking down the barrel from the stock end), and start them from the right to left. That applies to both front and rear dovetails, according to what I've read. It applies to the new skinner front sight I got, it gets really tight drifting it in from the right side, and stops if dovetail is too wide.

The front and rear sights have to be drifted "out" from the left side, and drifted "in" from the right side. Hope that make sense.
0 x
MSgt USAF - Retired, 1990-2014
VFW (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:30 pm

Cowpokey wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:23 pm
It's actually pretty important to drift sights in and out from the correct side on Henry guns. Drifting them out, you are supposed to go from left to right (looking down the barrel from the stock end), and start them from the right to left. That applies to both front and rear dovetails, according to what I've read. It applies to the new skinner front sight I got, it gets really tight drifting it in from the right side, and stops if dovetail is too wide.

The front and rear sights have to be drifted "out" from the left side, and drifted "in" from the right side. Hope that make sense.
Yes, that much I did know, does make sense, but thank you for reinforcing it.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cowpokey
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cowpokey » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Fluorescent lights mess with my eyes. I'm "cockeyed; near sighted in my left eye, and far sighted with my right...right handed and right eye dominant; luckily.

All the lights at the indoor range are Fluorescent. I noticed the front sight on the new Evil Roy is actually left of center enough to see under better lighting at the barn (that's what I call our house, it's not a barn...I'm just a goofy country boy)...I drifted the rear sight to the left while getting "zero", so now both front and rear are noticeably left of center.

It is dead on as is, but I'll probably have to drift the front sight back to center, then work on the rear sight to re-zero...my OCD knows no bounds.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Cowpokey wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:35 pm
Fluorescent lights mess with my eyes. I'm "cockeyed; near sighted in my left eye, and far sighted with my right...right handed and right eye dominant; luckily.

All the lights at the indoor range are Fluorescent. I noticed the front sight on the new Evil Roy is actually left of center enough to see under better lighting at the barn (that's what I call our house, it's not a barn...I'm just a goofy country boy)...I drifted the rear sight to the left while getting "zero", so now both front and rear are noticeably left of center.

It is dead on as is, but I'll probably have to drift the front sight back to center, then work on the rear sight to re-zero...my OCD knows no bounds.
:lol: on the OCD. I know what you are saying about the indoor range, which is where I first took my SGC. lighting was awful.
My SGC will no longer visit the indoor range, unless I have nowhere else to shoot outside. Only then will I get an accurate assessment. WILL get her dialed in!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cowpokey
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cowpokey » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:53 pm

We got into the range/lane as they were replacing lightbulbs...Not sure how often they do it, but they have lots of people take classes and whatnot that have never handled guns before, and shoot the ceiling/light bulbs. They do have a nice ($35) charge listed on the waiver from when you sign in....hopefully that covers their expenses...and gets the newbs to understand sight picture better. FWIW, I have never felt unsafe at any range I've ever been to, including this one.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:07 am

I have not ever felt unsafe either at my local indoor. Just saying that the lighting, or position thereof really messes with the sight picture I get with my SGC. it's good for pistol/ revolver or shooting through an optic. Just no good for peeps.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:01 pm

The "daylight" (5000K-6000K) LED lighting messes up my vision. Also the "shop white" florescents.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:15 pm

Mags wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:01 pm
The "daylight" (5000K-6000K) LED lighting messes up my vision. Also the "shop white" florescents.
;) ...It's not the intensity of the lighting, but the positioning of the lights at my local range. Casts an annoying shadow in the Skinner rear.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Don't like those either.
markiver54 wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:15 pm
... an annoying shadow
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234