Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

And this one I do shoot, no regrets

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: And this one I do shoot, no regrets

Post by Mistered » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:29 pm

That first shot is a startling/jolting reminder.
Yep - still happens with me once in a while!
I will admit to sometimes shooting my 24" M-39 without hearing protection as it's report is little more than a mild 'pop' when shooting if in the woods.
I will also admit to no hearing protection when hunting and/or woods or desert walking/stalking of small game or varmints.
I find the excitement of quick, responsive offhand shooting negates the report and I hardly notice it.
This and always having shot typically reduced loads Is a big help as well.
0 x

Lead Head
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Lead Head » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:11 pm

I do have one of the Ruger 30 Carbine pistols and enjoy shooting it.

With most factory ammo and the GI surplus ammo the muzzle blast can be a bit loud due to the unburnt powder when fired in the 7-1/2" barrel.

Because I really enjoy shooting the 30 carbine revolver, I decided to reload jacketed and cast bullets, but using pistol powders designed to burn well in shorter pistol barrels, 7-1/2" being shorter than carbine length. Well that solved two problems. One the rising cost of 30 Carbine ammo, even the GI surplus ammo, and the very loud muzzle blast reduced to typical pistol size report.

Another benefit realized with reloading 30 Carbine has been now I shoot it a lot more. Load testing accounts for quite a bit and once the magic loads are found, I can spend more time shooting the centers out of my targets.
2 x

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 am

Nice report! I bet that is one fun revolver. Im sure you will get lots of smiles out of it. I love taking a revolver and seeing what it will do long range.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Me too. I'm novelty amazed at how bad I am at it. :oops: Lead left, right, low and high in the dirt. :lol: I can understand How 'Joe Picket' must feel.
Lyman wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 am
... I love taking a revolver and seeing what it will do long range.
Last edited by Mags on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:24 pm

Shooting a revolver at long range is like any other revolver shooting in the it just takes practice, plenty of ammo and work. I grew up shooting revolvers at long ranges many years before the current obsession for shooting revolvers at 3 and 7 yards for self-defense work. That is certainly a valid type of revolver shooting and I'm not putting it down, but it so dominates the handgun scene, today, that a lot of younger shooters and newcomers don't even know there are other types of handgun shooting. When shooting revolvers at 50 yards at our local club range, I've even had shooters who were shocked to see me attempting such a thing. In fact, in our ten years at this range, I've never even seen another handgun shooter attempt such a thing. Have seen exactly two shooters trying their hand at full size torso targets at 25 yards, but never 50. Truth is, back in my handgun hunting days, anything under 50 yards was considered a close shot. Oh, yeah, things have changed in so many ways in the shooting world.
4 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:55 pm

I would shoot my 686 at 50 yds or less anytime and would feel confident.
At least a decent attempt anyway. I have, and will continue to achieve good results from my favorite wheelgun!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:51 am

A 686 is a very capable 357. Good for you.
1 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:15 am

1 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks Wingnut! That was enjoyable! :D
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:29 pm

but it so dominates the handgun scene, today, that a lot of younger shooters and newcomers don't even know there are other types of handgun shooting.
A lot of the younger shooters today consider defense as the only reason to own a handgun and most of the handguns they own are hardly worthy of much beyond 25 yards - if that.
I routinely shoot my revolvers at long distances and with a little practice can make consistent hits on larger targets such as a 5 gal propane tank at a 100 or so yards.
I once hit one 5 out of 7 shots at 100 yards with my 1911.
1 x