Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Range day yesterday

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Range day yesterday

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:08 am

I do mean it was a range day! My friend and I was there for 7 1/2 hrs. :shock: :D and had the range to ourselves all day for except a few watchers that stopped to watch us shoot the Know Your Limits spinner target that has the eight different size spinners on it. They were very interested in the spinner target. We went through a lot of ammo and had a great time. Stopped a few times to have a cold drink with the temps in the mid 90's and very humid and I took a break to walk out to the 50 yd. back stop to repaint the spinners white a few times to show up a little better for my peep sighted 513 Rem. First time trying the peep sighted Rem. on the KYL targets. I made it to through the first six of the eight spinners and then missed the 7th. Second time through I made a slight sight adjustment and got all eight. I never thought I would hit the last spinner which is 1/4" dia. Then my friend and a watcher said to try to do the little one again. I shot seven shots at it and made 4 hits. That 1/4" is small at 50 yds. Then I shot the CZ Grand Finale with the 6X Burris scope at the KYL targets. I keep saying it is going to get a bigger scope but it works so well I keep changing my mind. It doesn't like to be rested on the Caldwell rest so I shot it off home made sand bags. This rifle makes it look easy to hit the small targets. I ran all eight then the watcher said to shoot the little one again. I hit the little one 12 times for 14 shots to finish off the box of ammo. RWS rifle target is what it likes. The watcher just shook his head and said he wish he could do that. I told him it takes constant practice that a lot of folks just can't work it in to their busy schedules. My friend was shooting paper with a custom built match rifle and dialing in the barrel tuner to get the most out of it. After dialing it in he made the small spinner an easy task hitting about 15 times straight. He was using a 36X scope so seeing it was much easier. By the time we got all the fired casings picked up and loaded the trucks it was time to put the head lights on to drive home. Next time out my wife will be on vacation and I hope she gets in some shooting time. She loves the KYL spinners.
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Range day yesterday

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:23 am

Sounds like fun... I want to set up my poppers and do some ringing of my own.
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:36 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:23 am
Sounds like fun... I want to set up my poppers and do some ringing of my own.
If you ever get a chance to shoot the KYL spinner target give it a try it is really a lot of fun. There is some videos on you tube shooting it. Just type in s Know Your Limits competition shooting. When I shoot it by myself I start at least half way through the target at about number 5 as the first four are actually pretty easy at 50 yds. with a decent shooting gun. Saves some ammo for other shooting days. We are going to shoot it at around 25-30 yds. next week and use the Ruger MK II and Mk III hand guns and red dot sights. The we will try at a hundred yds. with the 22 rifles on a good still day but the last two small spinners would be more luck than good shooting.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:59 am

I love instant feed back when shooting.
Reactive targets are the funnist.
2 x
Pax at Justitia

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks for taking us along on your fun! :P
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:46 pm

Ojaileveraction wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:59 am
I love instant feed back when shooting.
Reactive targets are the funnist.
Couldn't agree more. Paper is just boring. 7.5 hours Bandit that's just way cool. I feel guilty after 3 may need to change that.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Sounds like fun. Might have to pick one up.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:51 am

Good for you guys, bandit. We're restricted to paper targets, only, at our club range. I don't like it, but I do understand the rule and support it. Have seen the garbage buildup at other ranges when you allow anything more than paper. We do shoot almost all steel on our backyard air gun range, so I get my steel shooting fix that way.
0 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:19 pm

I just got some new RWS rifle match, some CCI Green Tag and some other subsonic 22. I am planning to go to the range next week. I plan on taking my Evil Roy, a match 10/22 and a single shot 22 that my dad got new back in the depression. I was trained on that single shot when I turned 12 yrs old. This will be my first range trip since we have been remodeling the house since last year. Weatherman says we should have a cooler week (i.e. from high 90's to mid 80's). I'm also going to try a new SWFA 16x scope that i got for really fine tune my rifles. Will also take the BBB45 Long Colt for some jollies!

Muddy Waters
0 x