Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

“Old eyes”

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: “Old eyes”

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:30 pm

I've only used a red dot once. My youngest has one on his AR. First impression works well at POA for short distances. I thought shooting at 100yds and beyond the red dot got in the way. Covering too much of the target.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 pm

Scenario: I pick up my rifle with iron sites and look down the barrel. Ok, there's the rear notch. Ok, then I position the front blade where it needs to be for windage, ( center of course if gun is sighted in ). Then I put the top of that front blade level with the top of my rear notch. ( I think ). Ok, now I find my target and focus. Gonna fire soon, I think, but wait, everything I originally lined up is off again. Target is blurry, have i moved? Pick the best time during this sequence and shoot! Sometimes I get lucky. Cannot focus collectively.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cowpokey
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cowpokey » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:14 pm

I can't even get a cheek weld and have iron sights in focus with my glasses. I thought prescription lenses would "fix" my ability go back to iron sights...I'm better off without glasses at all.
0 x
MSgt USAF - Retired, 1990-2014
VFW (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:30 pm

oh what the h*** just shoot already. Sometimes I get lucky too.
markiver54 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:23 pm
Scenario: I pick up my rifle with iron sites and look down the barrel. Ok, there's the rear notch. Ok, then I position the front blade where it needs to be for windage, ( center of course if gun is sighted in ). Then I put the top of that front blade level with the top of my rear notch. ( I think ). Ok, now I find my target and focus. Gonna fire soon, I think, but wait, everything I originally lined up is off again. Target is blurry, have i moved? Pick the best time during this sequence and shoot! Sometimes I get lucky. Cannot focus collectively.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 am

Mags wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:30 pm
I've only used a red dot once. My youngest has one on his AR. First impression works well at POA for short distances. I thought shooting at 100yds and beyond the red dot got in the way. Covering too much of the target.
Mags, as I'm not familiar with red dot sights, how is the red dot getting in the way @ 100 yards? If I put one on my .45, I'd probably be shooting 75 yards tops. Thanks.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:14 am

Cofisher wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm
Hey Tom, take a look at the Sig 'Romeo 5' for a compact red dot. I am pleased with mine.
Dang, many options to look at here. Thanks Cofisher. These red dots look interesting.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:23 am

Some basics on red dots. Do size is measured in MOA. A 2 MOA dot covers a two inch circle at 100 yards, a 4 MOA for overs a 4" circle. At 50 yards, you cut that value in half. A 2 MOA dot covers a 1" circle at 50 yards, a 4 MOA for covers 2".

A smaller dot is not always better. You can lose a small 2 MOA dot, quickly, against a heavy background of brush, for instance. Some bullseye shooters prefer a dot size that is only slightly smaller than the bullseye. It allows a more precise placement of the dot in the bull and the larger dot will have less apparent motion. Action shooters also tend to a larger dot for the sake of quick acquisition.

Although the standard way to use a red dot is to place it directly over the target, if you have a quality dot with a sharp outline, you can use the top of the dot as the aiming point, similar to using your front sight. Using this technique, I have done some accurate work at 100 yards and even beyond with a red dot.

Red dots are like any other sight system, you need to use them for awhile to get the most out of them, but for most shooters, this happens very quickly. Relative to a scope or open sights, they are much easier to use.

Most shooters find they can keep both eyes open when using a red dot and this is something you should do if you can. Makes for a sharper dot and eliminates the eye fatigue you get when closing one eye to shoot.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:05 pm

When you look through a red dot optic there is a red dot instead of a cross hair. The red dot is holographic and very opaque.
Rifletom wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 am
Mags wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:30 pm
Mags, as I'm not familiar with red dot sights, how is the red dot getting in the way @ 100 yards? If I put one on my .45, I'd probably be shooting 75 yards tops. Thanks.
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 pm

NCG, thank you for reviving your comments on the dot size. I was trying to repost your previous discussion on this. Failed to make it work.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:38 pm

Are there red dot optics with an adjustable dot size?
North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:23 am
Some basics on red dots. Do size is measured in MOA. A 2 MOA dot covers a two inch circle at 100 yards, a 4 MOA for overs a 4" circle. At 50 yards, you cut that value in half. A 2 MOA dot covers a 1" circle at 50 yards, a 4 MOA for covers 2".

A smaller dot is not always better. You can lose a small 2 MOA dot, quickly, against a heavy background of brush, for instance. Some bullseye shooters prefer a dot size that is only slightly smaller than the bullseye. It allows a more precise placement of the dot in the bull and the larger dot will have less apparent motion. Action shooters also tend to a larger dot for the sake of quick acquisition.

Although the standard way to use a red dot is to place it directly over the target, if you have a quality dot with a sharp outline, you can use the top of the dot as the aiming point, similar to using your front sight. Using this technique, I have done some accurate work at 100 yards and even beyond with a red dot.

Red dots are like any other sight system, you need to use them for awhile to get the most out of them, but for most shooters, this happens very quickly. Relative to a scope or open sights, they are much easier to use.

Most shooters find they can keep both eyes open when using a red dot and this is something you should do if you can. Makes for a sharper dot and eliminates the eye fatigue you get when closing one eye to shoot.
0 x