Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

“Old eyes”

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: “Old eyes”

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:05 pm

Rifletom wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:56 am
Some here have scoped rifles, some do not. I know on my two Henry's, the limiting factor is the front bead covering my targets on anything past 25 yards or so. Plus the fact, my eyesight just isn't what it used to be. Glasses help, just not with that front sight. I will put some sort of Skinner on my .45 Colt and different front sight, as I do not want to scope that rifle. But, if push comes to shove, a Weaver Classic V 1-3x20mm will go on. I HAVE to have a clear sight picture.
Tom,
That is the exact scope I put on my BBS 357. I like it!
20190310_113145.jpg
20190310_113145.jpg (128.53 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:53 pm

Oh, copy that Mark. Have one on my .BB brass .357 also. It's probably gonna happen as I just have difficulty focusing on two sights and a target. Makes me a happy camper instead of cussing everything out. Because that still doesn't work!
Hey, how are you doing? Everything going good?
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks for asking Tom!
Not doing too bad, all things considered. Kinda in medical decision limbo at the moment, if that makes any sense.😐
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Just a thought but a red dot is another option. I have used those with some of my guns and like them.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:35 pm

Al, what sort of red dot would work on a BB steel? Something to consider.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:01 pm

Ton
Bushnell TRS-25 and a Primary Arms Micro. I have both they both work well for the price. The Primary is a little more money.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:29 pm

Hey Tom, take a look at the Sig 'Romeo 5' for a compact red dot. I am pleased with mine.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Cowpokey
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Cowpokey » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:11 pm

I started noticing my "old eyes" a couple years ago, finally went to the eye doctor in February this year and found out I'm "cockeyed". Near sighted in my left eye and far sighted in my right eye, right eye dominant. I can't focus on iron sights worth a hoot, especially using a handgun. I put a Vortex Venom red dot on my Buckmark Plus UDX before getting glasses, best modification ever for that gun. On rifles/carbines I use scopes, because I can hardly see the rear sight. With my New Vaqueros, the "fixed" sights (trough and front blade) are no problem. With my SGC, the rear peep sight is fine, since I can see a shadow where the outline of that aperture is. We took my daughters new Golden Boy to the range a couple hours ago to get it sighted in, and I can't see the rear sight well enough to make adjustments. My main problem, I have progressive lenses, I have to lift my head so far up to be able to focus on the sights, that I can't hold the gun steady...it also means that everything beyond the sights are blurry with both eyes.

As my dad always says, "A poor excuse is better than no excuse." I have to disagree with him on this subject though...my old eyes screwed me over in the iron sight department. Maybe I'll get some shooting glasses, with a lens for far sighted right eye and a lens for my near sighted left eye...then I can be corrected cockeyed, exactly the opposite of uncorrected.
0 x
MSgt USAF - Retired, 1990-2014
VFW (Life Member), NRA (Life Member)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:11 pm

Good point on the red dot, folks. A red dot can solve a lot of problems without the need to go with a big heavy scope and magnification. I use red dots on a lot of my handguns, often setting one gun up for shooting with iron sights and the same or similar model setup with a red dot. Nice to have the option of a red dot on days when the lighting conditions or my eyes aren't the best for shooting iron sights.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Same here. That up and down head movement focusing through different parts of the progressive lens to focus on the sights and then focus on the target causes the muzzle to move around with head/cheek weld movement.
Cowpokey wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:11 pm
... My main problem, I have progressive lenses, I have to lift my head so far up to be able to focus on the sights, that I can't hold the gun steady...it also means that everything beyond the sights are blurry with both eyes.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234