Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A trio of rimfire single action excellence

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

A trio of rimfire single action excellence

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Bill and I finally broke away from our home projects to do a little shooting, today. (Hope some of you did labor Day right with a little shooting fun, too.) Got to the range and the only shooting bay open was the short range pistol range, so left the rifles in the car and grabbed the revolvers. That's okay, because the revolvers were what we wanted to really shoot, anyway.

Was really about these three Ruger single action rimfires, today. From top to bottom: Old model Ruger Bearcat 22 LR, 1970 vintage, then the Old Model Ruger Single Six 22 LR, 1965 vintage that I posted about, yesterday, and, at the bottom, our New Model Bisley Single Six 22 LR, 1986 vintage (first year for the Bisley). Pleased to report that all functioned, flawlessly and shot, beautifully. What a fine trio of single actions they are!

Old Model Ruger Bearcat 22 LR, 1970 vintage
Yes, this is another new in the box collectible we found from the same source as the OM Single Six.

These really are a little gem of a single action, especially these old models. Unlike so many of the current production Bearcats, these Old Models had some of the best triggers Ruger ever made in a single action revolver. This one is no exception. Trigger breaks like glass at about 2 pounds of pull, right out of the box.

Bearcats have never had a reputation for accuracy, but I can tell you from having shot many Bearcats, both old and new production, it's not the gun's fault. Believe it or not, Bearcats are inherently quite accurate. It's the gun's tiny size and feather weight and tiny fixed sights that make them hard to shoot. Nevertheless, if you work with these tiny 22s, they will reward you. This one shoots a bit high, but with just the right hold under, I got my little baby to shoot.

OM Ruger Single Six 22 LR. 1965 vintage
For a complete rundown on this one, see my post on it from yesterday. As for shooting it, well, of course I did, just today, and I'm glad I did. This may well be right there with the most accurate Single Sixes I've owned and I've owned a lot of them in my day.

Here's the sight in target (I never shoot revolvers from a rest, even when sighting in). As you can see, out of the box, it shot low and left. From there, I moved those groups up and a touch to the right by adjusting the sights. Just had one flyer, but otherwise, the gun shot very predictably in response to the sight adjustments.

Since the distance was only 16+ yards, decided to see what I could do with a smaller 2" bull, instead of my usual 3". Oh, yeah, this one is a keeper.

Ruger Bisley Single Six, 1986 vintage
Bill and both love this one and have shot it enough for it to be an old friend, now. Figured it would be a good standard of comparison for the others. It did not disappoint. This single action is true paper shredder.

And here's an interesting target that Bill shot, today. Some folks find that the Bisley grip is a natural for them and Bill is one of those folks. (Me, I do well with both kinds of SA grips.) Here's two targets he shot, one with the Bisley and one with his beloved, never go to the range without it, S&W 617. He was amazed to see that he could cut is group size down so well with the Bisley. I was, too.

Maybe old Quigley doesn't have any use for single action revolvers, but we sure do. :)
8 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: A trio of rimfire single action excellence

Post by PT7 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:03 pm

That's a great trio photo, NCG. I was glad to get to read your first Range Report with your just-acquired Ruger Single Six .22LR. That excellent, shot-up 2" bull @ 16 yards tells us how very accurate this Six Gun is in the hands of a wheel gun lover. Yup, you and Bill did just fine on Labor Day!

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:07 pm

Glad we didn’t have to wait long for a report on the latest addition to your fine collection. Thanks again for taking us along.
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Fine shooting for sure. Welcome back, we missed ya...
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:23 pm

Amazing shooting!
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:42 pm

Thanks NCG as I grow older there just aint much more fun that shooting 22. Its been one of my favorites and is becoming one of my favorite all time rounds to shoot. Just wish I had more time to enjoy it.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:39 am

Great revolvers, great targets, great finds! Thanks for sharing!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:58 am

Thanks, folks.

Oh, yeah, the older we get, the more we like to relax and shoot 22s for the fun of it. Kind of like going full circle for me, all the way back to those earliest days of my shooting when I headed down to the pasture with a fresh box or boxes of 22s and a rifle or pistol and made an afternoon of it. That's actually how I learned to shoot a pistol via my first Single Six. Loading, shooting and unloading a Single Six or other single actions is in my blood. Can't put into words how comforting it is. DA revolvers and semi-autos are fun, too, but they're not single actions.

Oh, I still get the urge to shoot the big boomers, from time to time and I suspect I always will, but rimfires now make up the largest chunk of our gun collection.
0 x