Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Colt crazy cowgirl

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Colt crazy cowgirl

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks for such nice comments, guys. I do appreciate it.

Yes, I can see a 7 1/2" Colt in my future, now that I've come to appreciate just what these guns can do. And these Uberti Colts have all shown themselves to be inherently accurate revolvers, though I've never put one on a rest and shot for group size. Don't see the need, really, when I can shoot some one hole groups with all of them at 16 yards without a rest. Tells me all I need to know.

Yeah, westerns are still my favorite movies. Can't go wrong with a movie that includes Colts, Winchesters, good looking cowboys, horses, the wide open spaces and more (not necessarily in that order).

I do like Ruger VQs, but the fit in my hands is just enough different than the traditional Colt to make the Ruger's a bit awkward. Not a deal breaker by any means, but enough to make the Colt my preference. I do like the fact that Ruger is now turning out some specials with Turnbull CCH, though. Very tempting.

Yeah, the 45 Colt thing. The cartridges making me rethink my decision about getting out of reloading. May just get a simple, basic kit and restrict the reloading to the 45 Colt. Might make a good winter project.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:48 am

So I'm curious. What are the differences between the Ranch Hand, the Cattleman and the Stallion? In pictures they look identical.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Basically all 1873 Colts built on the same frame size with subtle differences in the grips and sights. The Ranch Hand, for instance, has an ever so slightly deeper cut in the rear sight notch, the Smokewagon, the checkered grips and so on. As much marketing as anything really substantial.

These two are Taylor tuned actions, though, meaning they get an action and trigger job, compared to standard models. The nice trigger on both is a plus for shooting one handed. Honestly, though, my other Uberti Colts are standard factory as far as action and trigger and are good enough to make it hard to justify the extra expense for the tune job. Keep in mind, though, that I cherry picked them with an onhand inspection, so there is no grantee that every Uberti Colt will have good triggers right out of the box. On the other hand, though, I will say that the average trigger on a Uberti Colt is heads and shoulder above the average trigger you get on any Ruger SA. Ruger single actions are great guns, but no one goes out of their way to buy a Ruger SA for their triggers. :)
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:57 pm

The Stallion is smaller than the others.
https://www.uberti-usa.com/stallion-revolver wrote: The Stallion revolver is a scaled down version of the Colt Single-Action Army, arguably the best-selling pistol ever produced.

It was popular in .22 caliber due to the cheap price of ammunition and light recoil in a full-sized revolver.

Today the Uberti Stallion revolver is available in both .22 LR, .22 Magnum and .38 Special.
Mags wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:48 am
What are the differences between the Ranch Hand, the Cattleman and the Stallion? In pictures they look identical.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Correct on the Stallion. Did not catch that. Thanks. I have the Cattleman 22 LR, which is the full size version. That's why I like it. Has the same balance as the other Colts, so a great practice gun.

It is hard to keep up on all these different models, for sure.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Great job using those .45 hole punchers!!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:13 pm

No kidding, love those big holes. Adds to the fun. Can see them without binoculars at 25 yards even when they miss the splatter targets. Those little dinky 22 LR holes have me grabbing the binoculars a lot.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:36 pm

Oh ya I remember now reading the stallion was 3/4 size.
From assumption after looking at Taylor's website it looks like the untuned Ranch Hand is the same as the Cattleman also untuned.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:20 pm

Very similar guns, though the Ranch Hand is a bit lighter, given the brass and, of course, those bigger 45 cal holes.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:31 pm

I bet grabbin those Binos to look at dinky holes on paper is better than grabbin the wallet to pay for those big holes on paper bullets
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55