Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Specialty pistol shooting

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Specialty pistol shooting

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:09 pm

I don't often post about specialty pistols on this forum, given that they are a bit off the beaten path for any forum devoted to the traditional stuff, but these are my mainstay handgun shooters, so now and then I do like to share, just to keep things varied and interesting.

Anschutz Exemplar 22 LR pistol
Doesn't get much more specialized than the Exemplar which was a bolt action 22 LR specialty pistol made, specifically, for the silhouette game and only made for a handful of years in the late 80s though early 90s.

So how does the Exemplar compare to more traditional 22 LR semi-auto pistols and revolvers in the all-important accuracy department? As a basis for comparison, the traditional standard of accuracy for a gun to rate as having "match" accuracy is a gun that can shoot a 1" group for 5 shots from a rest at 25 yards. Most good semi-auto 22 LRs can do this, as can a few 22 LR revolvers and the really good stuff can go 1/2". Here's what I shot, yesterday, with the Exemplar at 25 yards to get the red dot sighted in. This is a great example of why I've always maintained that you really do need to rate specialty pistols to a different standard of accuracy. Also a great example of why it's not much of a challenge to shoot something like an Exemplar at such a short distance as 25 yards.

Got the red dot sighted in at 50 yards, next, then handed the Exemplar over to Bill to shoot at 50 yards, telling him to just hold the red dot on the tiny 3" bull, way out there at 50. Keep in mind that shooting any pistol at 50 yards is something Bill has never bothered to try with his favorite revolvers, so it took some coaxing. I think he did a great job, though.

Two 32 cal Contenders.
Both of these Contenders wear custom made 32 cal barrels. The top Contender with its also custom stock wears a Bullberry custom 32 H&R barrel, while the G2 below it wears a custom 327 Mag barrel by MGM. I prefer a red dot for my offhand bullseye work, so both barrels are wearing red dots.

Sorry about the tattered and repaired targets, but we do our best to recycle targets and save on paper. Was using some bulk local made ammo in both guns. Plenty accurate for practice work.

Encore 12" 44 mag
This is my big boy 44 mag handgun. The Encore is a larger version of the G2 and that extra weight really helps with 44 mag recoil. That's especially important in these specialty pistols. These long barrels and no loss of pressure due to no revolver cylinder gap really ups the velocity of the 44 mag in these single shot pistols, compared to revolvers and that, of course, means more recoil.

Here's an example of why you need to tweak the sights when shooting a gun offhand after sighting it in from a rest, especially with a handgun that develops an appreciable amount of recoil. This is also an example of why I don't bother shooting a 44 mag in a revolver, much, anymore.

Back to more conventional shooters, next time, but hope you enjoyed this taste of what it's like to shoot these specialty pistols.
9 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Specialty pistol shooting

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:36 pm

I bet Bill never has any trouble with something to shoot for going to the range with NCG. He probably wonders all the time what he needs to do to even try to come close to shooting targets like you do. Maybe you could let him use the bench all the time and you shoot freehand.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:51 pm

What a cool collection of specialty pistols. Most everything you post is new to me, which makes it a lot of fun. Most of all, I can't stop staring at all that beautiful wood. :D As usual, the shooting is spot-on (watch out or someday Bill just might catch up!). I especially like your target results knowing that often you shoot with the off hand stance. Keeps me motivated, NCG.

BTW, never an apology needed when you said, "Sorry about the tattered and repaired targets." Just go back and look at some of the home-made, re-cycled, re-used and abused cardboard and paper I've cobbled together. Mine make yours look almost pristine. ;)
0 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:00 pm

Very nice NCG! Thanks for sharing yet some more of your beautiful collection.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Too cool !
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Great Post. Never saw a Anshutz Exemplar, struck me as odd that the bolt was on the left but I suppose it would have to be on a right hand pistol. Wonderful shooting. Thank you for showing these specialty pistols.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:43 pm

Thanks, guys.

As far as variety of guns, Bill and I are quite different. He is perfectly happy shooting the same guns, over and over, each trip to the range. Me, I've always been the inquisitive, give it a try kind of shooter. Both approaches have their good points, but, uh, mine is a wee bit expensive. :)

Yes, these single shot pistols are a great way to show off a nice piece of wood. That 32 H&R custom set came from a retired silhouette champ. Paid a premium price for it, but just couldn't resist.

Should mention that most folks who shoot these specialty pistols do shoot them primarily from the bench, often out-shooting folks shooting rifles from the bench. Have done it myself, many times and it's earned me some strange looks. As always, I like stretching myself a bit and shoot without a rest for the challenge.

Correct, Ernie. The bolt is on the left side, but it is a right-handed pistol, the idea being the shooter would not have to break his right hand grip to operate the bolt, then redo his grip for the next shot. Being able to maintain the exact same grip, shot to shoot, is an accuracy advantage. The Exemplar came along pretty late in the silhouette game, just as silhouette was beginning to decline in popularity. When it hit the scene, though, it knocked the Contender off its perch as the dominant gun in the rimfire classes. No coincidence, then, that TC came out with the 22 LR Match barrel for the Contender about the same time. The 22 LR Match barrel for the Contender makes it very competitive with the Exemplar, but I still give the Exemplar the edge.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:11 pm

Nice! Would love to see your gun room...
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:51 pm

I did. You have fun great experiences to share.
North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:09 pm
... hope you enjoyed this taste of what it's like to shoot these specialty pistols.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:34 am

Nice as always.
Targets? At the peak of competition, my bulk practice targets were 8" cheapo Sam's Club paper plates, stapled to cardboard.

Stick a repair center in the middle, go around it with a fat tip black marker, and it's ready.
(A lesson learned the hard way...) The smack of the bullets would often pop the black dot off, but you'd still have the thick black center circle.

I bought them in bulk packs of fifty or a hundred...
Too thin to eat off of without one of those special trays, but perfect targets.
(Also great practice for plates...)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.