Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Thought we would be staying home

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Thought we would be staying home

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:11 am

My wife got home from work yesterday and said she was totally drained and had no energy. She laid across the bed for about 20 Min. with the air on and the ceiling fan. I cam back up from my room and she said she fixed me a sandwich and a cold drink and she had a salad fixed for her self. While we were eating I jokingly said when we are done eating we can go over to the range and shoot. She said "That would be fun." :shock: I didn't have a thought that she would want to go shoot after working all day. We took all Rugers and some steel swinger targets. Ruger MK II, MK III and a new to her 10/22 Target model. I took the red dot off my MK III to shoot the open sights but took the red dot along. The open sights ran out of adjustment going down. So back on with the red dot. I tried a shot at a made up target because we for got to throw a few in the truck. Shot left and low and moved it right and up. A little to far right and had to go back. Then it shot pretty good at 25 yds. She was happy just spinning the steel targets at 50 yds. from a rest. After we shot steel for a while at 50 yds. I moved it out to 65-70 yds. and she had a problem with her red dot not being bright red in the sun where the target was. After I moved it into the shaded area she hit the smaller top target more than missing it. The bigger bottom target was easy for her to hit. I could hit the smaller one at that distance with my smaller and brighter dot. We shot maybe a 150 rounds each through the two pistols and then she shot the rifle at the steel. The top target was very easy for her to hit every shot but she still wanted to spin the bigger one every now and then also. The whole time we were shooting I was thinking about three filthy guns needing cleaned that evening. They were not really very dirty and cleaned up quick. Here is what we had at the range. Her MK II front and my MK III rear. I really like the grips on the MK III. Her 1 3/4 lb. trigger blows my 3 lb. trigger away.
The 10/22 Target model. This gun is more fun than I remembered them being from the past ones owned. I swapped out the trigger while apart so I can work on the one that came with the rifle new. Fellow member Swigs kindly donated one of his spares to me to have an extra one to modify. I will modify the silver one. The black one actually looks better in the rifle to me and maybe modify that one instead.
Here is my sight in target at 25 yds. Had to go up and right after putting the red dot back on. Moved to far right and came back a few clicks. I did manage to get 7 shots into a decent group after moving the adjustments twice. I believe the MK III is pretty accurate. We were shooting old Federal bulk HPT's.
[url=https://imgur.com/SPqhmle]Image[/url)
Happy shooting to all my fellow members and take care.
3 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Thought we would be staying home

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 am

Good story bandit! Glad you didn't have to stay home and had some fun. Those are very nice pistols. Really like the grips on the MK lll. Great shooting from those distances also!
Thanks for sharing.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:36 am

Glad you folks are managing to shoot, despite the heat. Keep it up.

From experience, with some red dots, when the dot starts to go dim, time to change the battery. On others, they either don't go that high on brightness or they are defective.

Also from experience, with Ruger Marks, you can go a long time without cleaning. They will tell you it's time for a good cleaning when extraction starts to get sticky. I used to just swab the breech area after each use and do a thorough clean after every 1000 rounds, but I've picked up some used Marks that I suspect were NEVER cleaned and they still shot.
1 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:37 am

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 am
Good story bandit! Glad you didn't have to stay home and had some fun. Those are very nice pistols. Really like the grips on the MK lll. Great shooting from those distances also!
Thanks for sharing.
I am easy. I could have had fun even if we would have stayed home. ;) :o :lol:
0 x