Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting duelist style

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Shooting duelist style

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:12 pm
Loved it, forty! Tanks for sharing. Curious, which one of those revolvers do you like the best?
I liked the Uberti/Taylors .45 Colt the best and have since traded the Ruger Birds head .45 ACP to a guy to get my first
.45 shooter back...my Ruger New Vaquero .45 Colt of 2005 issue.
The Uberti is a Colt sized frame and a bit lighter than the Ruger and the Uberti Birds head grip fit my hand better.
Also it came with the factory slicked up action.
Truth is the Uberti is the Taylors and Co. "Running Iron" Deluxe with the action package that I converted to the Birds head grip .
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 pm

Careful here I think Forty might be trying to take that Huckleberry title away from Mark. Shootin all these huckleberry guns
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:21 am

Love to shoot "duelist style." Challenging and fun.
I'd bet the Russians or Americans probably shot the top break revolvers "дуэлянт, стреляющий." ;)

Here is a collage of S&W .44 revolvers. Great-looking, simple, and quality firearms. My Russian .45 Colt would nicely fit here.
Smith & Wesson .44 Single Actions of the 1870s from top left clockwise,
an American, a pair of Model #3 Russians, and a New Model #3

Russian collage.jpg
Russian collage.jpg (87.62 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
0 x

~Пока~

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:10 am

Had a video on computer that died my son took at the range of someone shooting a pair of 460s&w, one in each hand.
Those X frame s&w are a massive revolver almost need 2 hands to hold them up let alone try to control them shooting factory 460 loads.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 am

220 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:10 am
Had a video on computer that died my son took at the range of someone shooting a pair of 460s&w, one in each hand.
Those X frame s&w are a massive revolver almost need 2 hands to hold them up let alone try to control them shooting factory 460 loads.
That will be 2 hands full!
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:38 am

and then there was the BFR .45-70...
https://youtu.be/7Wh5teFf5lc

That last shot the trigger guard slammed my knuckle by not having proper grip...ouch!
Those Hornady 325 gr. rounds I clocked at 1450 out the 5.5 inch barrel...a correction it was not 5.2.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 am

Forty, interesting on your preference for the Uberti SAs versus the Ruger's. I also prefer the Colt clones. The slightly smaller frame of the Colt reproductions vs. the NM Vaquero is just enough of a difference for me to be comfortable shooting the Colt clones one-handed. On the NM Vaquero, that hammer is just too darn high for me to reach. I have to break my hold and contort my hand and wrist to cock the hammer on the NM Vaquero. (I'd probably change it out to a Super Blackhawk hammer as many do to get more comfy with it.) Being able to draw, cock and fire, one-handed, without having to contort my hand and wrist to cock the hammer may not sound like big deal, but it's much appreciated over a long shooting session and it would be absolutely essential if I ever found myself in a position where I HAD to draw and shoot with one hand, only.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:25 am

PT, that is a wonderful collection of old Smiths. I think those Smiths and also the Remingtons played a much bigger role in the taming of the Old West than what we've gotten from Hollywood and those old dime novels. It certainly wasn't all Colts as many of us grew up to believe.
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:30 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:28 pm
Careful here I think Forty might be trying to take that Huckleberry title away from Mark. Shootin all these huckleberry guns
Aint he a Daisy... :lol:
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:15 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 am
Forty, interesting on your preference for the Uberti SAs versus the Ruger's. I also prefer the Colt clones. The slightly smaller frame of the Colt reproductions vs. the NM Vaquero is just enough of a difference for me to be comfortable shooting the Colt clones one-handed. On the NM Vaquero, that hammer is just too darn high for me to reach. I have to break my hold and contort my hand and wrist to cock the hammer on the NM Vaquero. (I'd probably change it out to a Super Blackhawk hammer as many do to get more comfy with it.) Being able to draw, cock and fire, one-handed, without having to contort my hand and wrist to cock the hammer may not sound like big deal, but it's much appreciated over a long shooting session and it would be absolutely essential if I ever found myself in a position where I HAD to draw and shoot with one hand, only.
The hammer pull on my ol' Ruger New Vaquero is really nice though. Bought it from the used gun case at the LGS back in 2009
and it was of the first year 2005 of the New Vaquero production. A nice tight and smooth .45 Colt shooter and glad I could get it back again
a keeper!
0 x