Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Still dialing in Win. Mod. 52

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Still dialing in Win. Mod. 52

Post by bandit1250 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:23 am

I am slowing making some progress with the Win. 52 I bought. This is a very trying rifle to get it right. I should just sell it to a collector and for get it but I want to see if I can make it more accurate. The pain in the rear with the bolt procedure is minor compared to trying different action screw torque to try to make it better. The scope has to come off every time you change the torque because some lame brain engineer thought the screw should go down through from the top instead of up from the bottom. What a design error in my opinion. The barrel tension screw is another thing that changes everything at the least amount of tension.. I took it out and shot it with it that way and it was not very good. Then I went clear to the extreme of tightening it down and it shot better. Loosened it up about 1/6 of a turn from tight and it was better. Loosened it another screw slot or two width and back to shooting bad again. Put it back 1/6 of the turn off being tight and shot good again so it is staying there. This is one very hard rifle to dial in and I never have owned anything as fussy as these 52's can be. This one is maybe worse than the others I have owned. No big deal I am not attached to it and won't break my heart to move it on. I will leave the adjustments where they are now and tell the buyer about what I have found so far. I will give it to fall to get fully tuned in for me including a lot of different ammo to see if I am up to the challenge of this head ache and if not it can find a new home. I am going to add a set of quick release rings to deal with that goofy down through action screw. This rifle also hates a dirty barrel. By about the end of a full 50 round box IF you don't mix several other brands in your shooting it will need the barrel cleaned. I have heard this about the Miroku 52's from other owners. Barrel looks like a mirror inside so don't understand what goes there. Here is a few targets from a couple days ago. Tried ammo it didn't like before and it still didn't like it. The ammo it liked pretty well shot better than before. Makes me think there could be light at the end of a very long tunnel. First target is a clean barrel targets. It hated the Rem. sub sonic and the question mark ammo was I think Win. Dyna Pts. Norma Tac 22 and RWS pistol have been the ammos I have shot the most. All targets were 40 yds.
Next target was a few different brands. I shot the first group at the center line of the cross intersection with Win. Australia made sub hpt. The top right was a load it shot well before but opened up so I cleaned the barrel. Then went down to the lower right with the same ammo and it shot well again.
Then the lower right at the square with the Aussie Win. and I actually feel the lower shot was me when my left elbow slid on my bench on a target I laid there. Then when I was getting ready to shoot some CCI standard vel. a fly landed and I put RWS sub back in as I knew where they were hitting but I missed the fly. The fly landed again and I held slightly to the low right and he won't be back any more. So on to two different lot #'s of CCI and they both shot well and hit the same place on the target. Things are looking up. :)
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Still dialing in Win. Mod. 52

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:18 am

Given my penchant for trading guns, that one would have more value to me as trading fodder. Might as well cash in on that Winchester 52 mystique, rather than keep taking aspirin trying to make it shoot. I'll be sticking to our CZs when I want something to shoot.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Still dialing in Win. Mod. 52

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:02 am

I have to hand it to you for being willing to put in all of the necessary time and effort .... I simply couldn't
1 x