Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

My old Remington was showing off today

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

My old Remington was showing off today

Post by bandit1250 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:59 pm

While I was cleaning up my bench in my room last evening I was thinking about that old 39A made in '46 and how well it shot and worked. Then I remembered I have a '46 year rifle but it is a 513T Remington. I haven't had it out since last fall and this was a morning that was ideal for shooting. Dead calm when I went out and set up. Set up at 33yds. The barrel was clean and dry and I shot a fouler shot at a spot on my target board and it was right there. Then I had six black push pins in the target so I shot a shot at each one. Everything must have been right as I hit one with each shot but the right center I only took the end of the head off and left the rest in the target. Then I shot three 5 shot groups with the same ammo I just used(Norma Tac) for the top target and the center. Switching from the pins to the bulls eye it shows a bullet diameter or so left but it hits the pins well. It is normal to have a slight difference from the bulls eye to the pins or the empty 22 casings. The bottom bull is Norma Match which so far does no better than the Tac 22. This rifle I have a Redfield International Match peep and a Lyman 17A front. The Redfield is for a center fire and with the rim fire being smaller in diameter had to make a thicker mounting base to keep the adjustment from running out. This combination has proven to be very accurate and has shot as well as some high priced rifles that were scoped. Here is my 513T from 1946.
This shows how thick the mounting base had to be to set the sight center with the bore. Came out almost right on the zero. Lucky guess ;)
My bulls eye shots and then I shot the pins from the top corners and the lower right. Then the target fell down and it started to lightning and thunder so that was it.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Mt old Remington was showing off today

Post by JEBar » Fri May 27, 2016 4:40 pm

outstanding ---- actually, better than that, more like ---- OUTSTANDING .... just curious how it performs at longer ranges ?
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri May 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Bandit, you're an OUTSTANDING shooter! When you're done with it, may I have your "mantel". :lol:
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri May 27, 2016 8:17 pm

I want to shoot like you when I grow up!
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri May 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Great shooting! I see the 513 had a good diet.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:26 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:Bandit, you're an OUTSTANDING shooter! When you're done with it, may I have your "mantel". :lol:
Practice, Practice, and then Practice some more. I have been shooting 22.s since Dad started me at age 5 or 6 and that was with a old Springfield with peep sights and a rifle called a Wippett. I rarely ever got away from shooting rim fires through the years and still shoot every chance I get and it is made easy by being able to shoot from my back porch. I will shoot even if it is only a tube full through a lever or several mags full through my bolt rifles. People think I waste my money on ammo but my wife always tells them "He doesn't smoke or drink." Here is last years practice ammo fired and sacked to go to the scrap metal yard. There is a handful of split neck 223 in there and the rest is rim fire.
It is like your bow when you don't practice. You can still shoot it but not as good as when you practice. As far as the accuracy of this rifle. It is only set up for peeps so I rarely shoot much past 50yds. on paper but it usually will stay in the 1/2" to slightly over 5/8" with some going in a ragged hole with the Wolf ammo or Tac Norma. I have shot it at a 100 at pieces of clay birds set up after raising the elevation about 5 or so inches and hit pretty well. Aperture sights are better on paper. I also do better with the adjustable aperture on a peep.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri May 27, 2016 9:29 pm

I've found the more I shoot the better I shoot.
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Sir Henry wrote:I've found the more I shoot the better I shoot.
I can see the difference when work and other things keep you away from the range for any extended time. Can be a little rusty until you get your hold and follow through back. Sir Henry that old 513T is amazing how it shoots for a single screw holding the action in the stock. The are said not to be accurate with one screw and some of my CZ's are great shooters with a single screw action.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:21 am

You got that exactly right, Bandit. On-going, regular practice is the key.
I haven't shot either of my Henrys for almost a month now with all the storms and bad weather. :(
It feels more like a year sometimes! ;)
bandit1250 wrote:
CT_Shooter wrote:Bandit, you're an OUTSTANDING shooter! When you're done with it, may I have your "mantel". :lol:
Practice, Practice, and then Practice some more. I have been shooting 22.s since Dad started me at age 5 or 6 and that was with a old Springfield with peep sights and a rifle called a Wippett. I rarely ever got away from shooting rim fires through the years and still shoot every chance I get and it is made easy by being able to shoot from my back porch.
0 x

~Пока~

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:27 am

The picture didn't come through on the first part of my thread about the sight mounting base. After making this base so I could use this Redfield sight this rifle shot better for me than the older sight that was not as tight in the adjustments with the play it had developed. This sight is very tight and precise on the clicks. My rifle was bought from a older gentlemen who shot in matches that there was rifles that out classed the 513T but he did well with it because he was a very good shot. We will try the picture again.
0 x