Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

More revolvers

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

More revolvers

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:02 pm

More revolvers! Surprise right?

But, yeah, revolvers are what suit our shooting, best, as I've explained in many posts. This last week's range trip was putting a couple of new ones though their paces and seeing how they shoot. Here's one of them.

Ruger Bisley Single Six 22 LR.
I still bring my Uberti Cattleman 22 LR single action revolver along on almost every range trip and love the way it shoots. Let's face it, though, Colt fixed gutter sights aren't exactly the most target-friendly sights, so I've been searching for something comparable in quality in a single action 22 LR with adjustable sights, for those days or times when my old eyes need a break. That really leaves a Ruger Single Six as my only practical option as far as built quality and price. Can't even begin to recall how many Ruger Single Sixes I've owned in my life, but was hoping to find one that was a little different and a cut or two above the usual Single Six. Here it is, a 1986 vintage Ruger Bisley with adjustable sights. Ruger introduced the Bisley Single Six for the first time in 1986, so this one is even a bit more special.

Not my first Bisley Single Six, by the way, but this one is one of the nicer finished ones I've seen. I suspect Ruger spent a bit more time on the finish of these newly introduced versions. One of the things I especially like about the Bisley versions, compared to other blued Single Six versions is that you get a blued steel grip frame instead of the cheaper painted aluminum frame on standard blued models. The engraved, un-fluted cylinder is also a nice touch.

So what's with the Bisley grip thing? The Bisley grip was originally conceived by Colt as a target shooting grip for their single action Colt revolvers in the late 1800s, just before the turn of the century. The name comes from Bisley, England, the location of popular shooting matches. Still a very popular grip on Ruger revolvers, because some folks like them for the sake of handling recoil on big bore Ruger single actions. I still prefer the old plow grip, myself, for handling recoil, but do like the Bisley for target work.

And, of course, it's a shooter. Did I mention that I really, really appreciate the easy to use adjustable sights? Also interesting that my husband, Bill, did just as well shooting this Bisley as with his beloved Smith 617 22 revolver. I suspect the lager Bisley grips a plus for his big paws.

Bottom line for me is another Ruger single action revolver with no issues of any kind to report. Shoots and functions, great. Will get a lot of use out of this one. Hey, it's a revolver and you know me when it comes to revolvers, right?
7 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: More revolvers

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:11 pm

The North Woods Gun Whisperer has done it again. These beauties just seem to be drawn to you. Great shooting as always. And say hello to Bill for us.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Will do. Thanks.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Very nice NCG, I always drool when I see your guns! Thank you.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Beautiful gun, love the grips and the shooting...............
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Very nice revolver. Looks like it shoots real well too, or maybe that's the operator...I can see how that grip would be nice, I really like the 1860 style SA grip on my revolver as opposed to the shorter SAA or Navy style.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:35 pm

A great report and great shooting with that revolver. It's a good theory that they made the first one's "extra" nice. A good strategy. I will keep on the look out for one.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Threads with "more revolvers" are always welcome, NCG. Good shooting of bullets and photos, too.
Not my first Bisley Single Six, by the way, but this one is one of the nicer finished ones I've seen. I suspect Ruger spent a bit more time on the finish of these newly introduced versions. One of the things I especially like about the Bisley versions, compared to other blued Single Six versions is that you get a blued steel grip frame instead of the cheaper painted aluminum frame on standard blued models. The engraved, un-fluted cylinder is also a nice touch.
Like the whole package of things you like about this Six gun. But as usual, those dark wood grips are the jewel of the revolver! :D
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:52 pm

I agree on the grips. Standard Ruger walnut grips, but love the dark color these.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Sure do like my Bisley grip 45 colt with the 45 acp cylinder. Nice shooting NCG
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55