Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Mostly revolvers

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Mostly revolvers

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:08 pm
The Exemplar lives on I.... Hard gun to find, now, but not that many were made in the first place. Definitely a specialty pistol.

Here's mine and, no, it is NOT for sale. Two stage factory adjustable trigger set at 8 ounces at the factory, but you can safely go lower. Have shot it with a rifle scope, taco style, also with a red dot, but now I shoot it with the superb factory sights. This gun will shoot under half inch at 50 yards, same as our best 22 rifles.
Got to ask since there is no dumb question.
What is "taco style?"
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 pm

Silhouette shooting technique with a scoped pistol. Pistol is actually scoped with a high magnification rifle scope, so the handgun is held up close to the eye, with the offhand over the top of the scope, holding the scope kind of like holding a taco. Do a youtube search on taco hold and you'll see what it is. Pretty controversial in its day, though. A lot of silhouette competitors thought it should be outlawed, as it really did change the game in handgun silhouette.

Keep in mind that silhouette actually began as a sport for practicing hunting, basically bring whatever hunting gun you have and give it a try. As with any target sport, though, it became more and more ritualized, ever more specialized with categories for this and that and along with it, guns designed specifically for the sport.
1 x

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:54 pm

PT7 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 pm

Got to ask since there is no dumb question.
What is "taco style?"
Watch this. It's kinda hard to explain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7a85uctmQw
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:04 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:53 pm
Silhouette shooting technique with a scoped pistol. Pistol is actually scoped with a high magnification rifle scope, so the handgun is held up close to the eye, with the offhand over the top of the scope, holding the scope kind of like holding a taco. Do a youtube search on taco hold and you'll see what it is. Pretty controversial in its day, though. A lot of silhouette competitors thought it should be outlawed, as it really did change the game in handgun silhouette.

Keep in mind that silhouette actually began as a sport for practicing hunting, basically bring whatever hunting gun you have and give it a try. As with any target sport, though, it became more and more ritualized, ever more specialized with categories for this and that and along with it, guns designed specifically for the sport.
Silhouette sort of took on a life similar to a lot of other pastimes with too many rules and regulations. Rules and regs ruin everything. Back when I was shooting silly wets it was iron sights only with no optics allowed, period. Funny part was I was perfectly legal running an electronic trigger in my 308 Wichita. In drag racing we called a lack of rules, run what ya brung. We need to get back to that in all the shooting sports.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Rules and regs ruin everything.
Pretty much what kept me out of any competitive shooting sports all my life...
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:18 pm

My competitive shooting now is between me,myself and I. Shot competitively as a youngster. Now, however it's a lot closer to home and personal satisfaction.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:35 pm

In the 80s I tried sillywets for a couple years. I let a buddy talk me into shooting IPSC about 4 times and that didn't end well at all and yes it was over stupid rules and regs. Since then I hardly ever shoot around anyone else. I've decided theres nothing to be gained by proving I'm better than my friends. I only need to be able to prove it to my enemies. Funny. I was just telling my wife the other day that there's only one person still living who knows what I'm capable of with a rifle and I haven't even seen him in years. I try to help a lot of people learn to shoot but even then I don't shoot in front of them more than it takes to demonstrate technique.

Nowadays I'm the only one I need to prove anything to. ;)
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:45 pm

Well put OS!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 pm

Best "competitive" shooting match I've seen...and you don't put the prize on the fireplace mantle! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... pmsBOPSAJo
0 x

~Пока~

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 am

PT7 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 pm
Best "competitive" shooting match I've seen...and you don't put the prize on the fireplace mantle! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... pmsBOPSAJo
How I miss that show and those guys.

If I start licking my front site do y'all think it will help? :D
1 x