Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Mostly revolvers

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Mostly revolvers

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 pm

Yeah, I'm a revolver kind of gal, even though we shoot just about every other type of gun. Here's a few highlights from this week's shooting.

S&W 617
This is our basic workhorse 22 revolver. Bill and I each have our own. He prefers shooting with iron sights. Me, I prefer a red dot most days. 10 shot revolver, here, by the way.

Pretty average group with the 617. Can keep most in the black 3" bull.

Dan Wesson 715
The 715 is the stainless version of the better known blued Model 15, which I also have. I shoot the 15-2 with iron sights and this new production 715 with a Burris red dot.

These DW 357 revolvers have pretty much put a stop to my quest to find the perfect 357 revolver. Here's why.

Don't forget the Contenders
As some of you know, I'm also a Contender nut. Here's one of my favorites. It's a Contender with a ss 10" Match 22 LR barrel with a Leupold-Gilmore red dot with a 2 MOA dot.

And as some of you know, I've also said that I reserve a different standard of accuracy for my Contenders. Not really fair to compare conventional guns to a Contender. Here's why.

Need to get out and shoot some rifles, next, but never go too long without shooting revolvers.
7 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Mostly revolvers

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:13 pm

All very nice wheel guns, NCG. Especially think that the Contender has really beautiful furniture. Maybe some day I'll be able to reach out to 25 yards and produce a few well-marked revolver targets. ;) Some great shooting there for your week's highlights.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:24 pm

VERY impressive NCG! love them all and their work. You do the justice for these fine guns as proven above!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:26 pm

It's always hard to pick which is the more impressive, the pics of the targets or the pics of the hardware that helped punch the holes in the targets.

And, as usual, I don't have to pick, so I won't. They're all great.

Thanks for sharing.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 pm

Nice shooting, high quality pics. Thanks
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 pm

I dont pick anymore either. Hands down revolvers. Autos just dont get much play time at my house.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:45 pm

Great shooting with those nice revolvers. Always enjoy your reports.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Old Syko
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Old Syko » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Couple of really nice wheel guns for sure but the T/C has always been a favorite of mine, especially in the Herretts, TCUs and some other specialty calibers. There's a reason you hold the T/C to a different level and anyone who has spent any time with one knows what that reason is. BTW gotta tell ya, I agree with Bill on the irons. Kinda like the difference between driving a stick or automatic. But I'm not a fanatic about it. ;) Good shootin.
0 x
NRA Life Endowment Member

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:11 am

Great shooting and as usual leave it to NCG to introduce yet another firearm I had yet to be aware of. That Contender looks real cool. Had to spend sometime checking that one out.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks, guys. Glad you enjoyed the post.

Yes, Contenders are a different breed of gun in every way. Not only can you change barrels and be shooting a different cartridge in a minute, you also shoot them differently than conventional handguns. Takes experience with them to get all that accuracy out of them, but well worth it to me. Been shooting Contenders since the mid 80s and still learning what these amazing guns can do, though.

BigAl, yes, we also have some semi-autos and nice ones, too, but we just always seem to fall back on revolvers when it comes time to head to the range. Some trips, that's all we shoot, in fact. They suit us.

Oh, I still shoot a lot of irons on my handguns, including the Contenders, but the red dots have kept me shooting up to my potential, now that my eyes are getting old. That, and I have allergies, this time of year, and that also complicates using iron sights at times. Yesterday was such a day, though I did shoot some irons, too.

Here's another Contender, this one in blue, also wearing another 22 LR Match barrel, but set up with a micro adjustable, excellent silhouette style sight.

Wasn't able to hold group size down to the red dot equipped version, but still matches what I could do with the red dot equipped Smith revolver. Pretty mediocre target for this rig, compared to what I've done in the past, but yesterday was one of those red dot days for me, as I said.
0 x