Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Russian shooting with new spectacles

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Russian shooting with new spectacles

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:50 pm

I had a better than good day at the range shooting my 1874 Russian #3 top break in 45 Colt. :D

Cyrillic engraving_2563.JPG
Cyrillic engraving_2563.JPG (163.61 KiB) Viewed 2399 times

Grateful for that because it was the first time shooting my firearm with new glasses. OK, I had a couple of goals in place.

Revolver Issue. Recently I have been experiencing spent brass ejection problems. The brass has been getting underneath the ejection star and is a "Russian bear" to remove. Last week I spoke with the parts manager at Taylor's & Co., and yesterday spoke with the T&C gunsmith. They were ready to accept the gun for repair. But when I chatted with the smith, I asked some Qs as relates to how best to eject the brass. In particular, the position of the cylinder. I've been ejecting brass with cylinder/gun at a 30* cant or so. I was told the optimal position is with the ejector star pointing straight downward. Yeah, gravity is part of the equation. But that also meant holding the revolver differently when done firing. I figured out how to do it, and was able to eject eight 5-round cylinder loads with zero glitches. Great improvement because the caught brass was happening too often. So at this point, I'm holding off on shipping it off for repair. Seems like it may have be "shooter error."

New prescription lenses, new frames, and the Shooting Goal. Yeah, another "first," and again dealing with elder eyes and the sights. Because I got larger lenses in a retro 1950s-style frame, the trifocal heights are different. Actually, I found it better for shooting....hurrah! Used the middle lens, grabbed my sight radius with leaving the target blurred, and the excellent accuracy of the Russian helped the shooter shoot fine.

Ammo. First time I've tried the S&B ammo (shot 40 rounds), and the revolver and I both liked it.
DSCN3244.JPG
DSCN3244.JPG (195.8 KiB) Viewed 2399 times

Shooting Stance. Off hand, one-handed. A finely-balanced revolver, and a solid grip aided by that handy-dandy trigger spur.

Targets. The rest of the Range Report story.

Five-inch splash at seven yards. Two 5-round groups to warm up.
DSCN3245.JPG
DSCN3245.JPG (182.45 KiB) Viewed 2399 times

Six and 1/2-inch inverted triangle at 10 yards. Eight POIs in target is a result I'm good with, especially with all the "new stuff" happening today.
DSCN3246.JPG
DSCN3246.JPG (134.42 KiB) Viewed 2399 times

Nine inch paper plate at 15 yards. My goal was POI placement in the 5" smaller circle. I landed 10 rounds in plate, with 6 POIs in the goal area. Although this easily can be considered a "so-so" target result, it is the best I've ever shot the Russian at 15 yards. This was the most fun and encouraging part of my range time. The lighting at the indoor range was dim at 20 and 25 yards (max), but I hope to get to that distance some day. For now, more time working on the 15-yard distance.
DSCN3247.JPG
DSCN3247.JPG (143.87 KiB) Viewed 2399 times

The RSO is a friendly and helpful guy at this range. He watched me shoot, partly because he thinks the Russian top break is cool 8-) . The fellow is spot-on I'd say!

Thanks for looking, Henry Folk.
PT7
2 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Russian shooting with new spectacles

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 pm

Glad to hear about the new specs Bob and glad things are working well! Good look'n targets too!😎
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Congratulations, PT7. What a great range report to read; and your targets are proof that your new glasses are just what you needed to make them possible. It can only get better! I'm so glad that you have lately learned so much about your revolver that you can now fully enjoy it. Awesome.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Solid shooting for sure. Great job. S&B is nice ammo.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:07 pm

Nice work, PT! And so glad you found out the little tip about the force of gravity. It's the little things, right? Some great shooting there, that's for sure.

New specs, new unloading procedure, life is good! Congrats and thanks for sharing!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Love that one-handed shooting, PT. Keep that target as a reminder of what you can do. Also, good to hear that you can access some help from Taylor's, just in case I ever need any help with mine.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:08 pm

yep, being able to see is a major plus .... years ago I was able to finally convince my wife that her shooting would improve if she kept at least one eye open .. :? .. good to hear about the simple solution to the ejection issue ... any chance you can post a picture of holding the Russian properly :?:
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:48 am

JEBar wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:08 pm
yep, being able to see is a major plus .... years ago I was able to finally convince my wife that her shooting would improve if she kept at least one eye open .. :? .. good to hear about the simple solution to the ejection issue ... any chance you can post a picture of holding the Russian properly :?:
Here are some photos somewhat showing the ejection/unloading sequence. I have a video tool on my Nikon camera, but no way to hold the camera while using two hands. Your imagination will have to take over.

Silver Russian "at rest."
ejectseq_3253.JPG
ejectseq_3253.JPG (149.21 KiB) Viewed 2362 times

New brass ejection hold. Right hand is shooting hand. Top of frame now pointing to ground. Note my fourth finger holding the trigger spur. Easy to hold using that extra component of this Schofield model.

ejectseq_3249.JPG
ejectseq_3249.JPG (149.14 KiB) Viewed 2362 times

Revolver barrel lock opened. With my left hand, I "unlocked" the barrel cross bolt from the frame. You can see the bolt has a checkered head and is positioned where the barrel separates from the frame. I then grip the loosened barrel with my left hand, and break it open with the ejector star pointing downward.
ejectseq_3250.JPG
ejectseq_3250.JPG (152.41 KiB) Viewed 2362 times

Here is where your imagination works best. My left hand is wrapped around the barrel just as my right hand is wrapped around the grip and holding the trigger spur. I hold the cylinder over a small plastic bucket to catch the brass, which works quite easily.
ejectseq_3251.JPG
ejectseq_3251.JPG (161.14 KiB) Viewed 2362 times

Ergo. So far no spent brass has gotten caught under the ejector star.

Was your imagination successful? ;)
1 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 am

HA! Got it!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:31 am

ESquared wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 am
HA! Got it!
got it indeed, thanks for the pictures and comments .... I can't help but wonder if incorporating the trigger spur into the revolver's design wasn't for use in reloading ..... hope you'll bring at least one to the gathering, I'd love to see it in person
1 x