Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New pistol -- MkIV 2245 sight in range report

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: New pistol -- MkIV 2245 sight in range report

Post by PT7 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 pm

Good to know, NCG. I did enjoy my first range time. Glad to know that I'm in the large crowd (99%) alongside other Ruger shooters, who can't match the Marks accuracy!! Thanks for the positive comments on this firearm.

PT7
North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 am
PY, I've literally owned dozens of Ruger Marks over the years. I can honestly tell you that no semi-auto pistol ever made has the durability of a Ruger Mark. The Ruger Marks have set records for round counts without cleaning, for round counts with replacing a few cheap parts and so on. Have bought used Marks that were so filled with crud from lack of cleaning that I was stunned, but they still shot.

Ruger Marks have been used in formal bullseye competition, usually as guns to get a newbie started before moving on to the expensive stuff. All that is required is a trigger job. In other words, 99% of the folks that shoot Ruger Marks will never be as accurate as the gun.

Enjoy.
0 x

~Пока~

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:29 am

Well, I've had this Mark I target since it was brand new back in 1976. I've never done anything but clean and shoot it.
marki.JPG
marki.JPG (162.92 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
The trigger is absolutely factory. 2 1/2 lbs and breaks like glass. Smooth as the north end of a south bound baby.

The Pup fell in love with it when she first learned to shoot. She still puts 50 rounds or so through it most range trips.

It's seen a lot of ammo over the years. It bears the marks of having been well used, but still looks pretty good.

Factory walnut grips BTW. Love the thumbrest. Hogue makes a thumbrest grip for this. I would have one of those on it, if I didn't have these walnut ones. They show the years, but still look good enough as well. I call it character.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:37 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 am
PY, I've literally owned dozens of Ruger Marks over the years. I can honestly tell you that no semi-auto pistol ever made has the durability of a Ruger Mark. The Ruger Marks have set records for round counts without cleaning, for round counts with replacing a few cheap parts and so on. Have bought used Marks that were so filled with crud from lack of cleaning that I was stunned, but they still shot.

Ruger Marks have been used in formal bullseye competition, usually as guns to get a newbie started before moving on to the expensive stuff. All that is required is a trigger job. In other words, 99% of the folks that shoot Ruger Marks will never be as accurate as the gun.

Enjoy.
What's your experience with the 22/45's with the poly frame? Do they have that durability and shootability quality of the all metal models?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Can't offer much on the 22/45, since I've never owned one or shot one. The 22/45 never felt such like a 1911 in my hands, plus I've always liked the heft of the regular Mark series, better. As for the polymer frame, I doubt that would be much of a factor in durability, though. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone cracking or breaking one and, hey, it works for all kinds of pistols, these days.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:54 pm

End of week happenings on the issue of hard-to-insert magazines. And I found another problem with the rear adjustable sight and told Ruger about that, too.

Got a very quick and helpful response from Ruger CS. Worked with the CS rep yesterday, received a Ruger-paid shipping label, and the Mark IV is on its way to the service shop. Will post whenever I get it back with whatever results there are.

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:46 pm

I don't have a 22/45, but I do have a Taurus Defender poly frame that shoots .45 defense ammo. No issues with durability so far. Though even with rubber fluted recoil grips it hurts to shoot it.
Bugs wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:37 am
[NCG] What's your experience with the 22/45's with the poly frame? Do they have that durability and shootability quality of the all metal models?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:07 pm

I'm looking at their MKIV Tactical. Hmmm...
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:33 am

Bugs wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:07 pm
I'm looking at their MKIV Tactical. Hmmm...
Even though I'm working on the couple of NOTB glitches, I like the MKIV pistols. FWIW, I have one suggestion, Bugs, which you may have already considered.

You said you're looking at the Tactical model. That has the grip I had on my first MKIV Standard.
https://ruger.com/products/markIVTactic ... 40150.html

The grip is positioned differently on the Tactical 22/45 model, which I have on my new pistol.
https://ruger.com/products/markIV2245Ta ... 40149.html

I think you can see the grip differences in these photos. My preference is definitely the more-closely vertical position of the 22/45 grip. So suggest you handle both models for your best fit and preference. I noticed a distinct difference in them.

Enjoy the hunt, and if you get the MKIV, enjoy that, too.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:17 pm

MkIV 22/45 arrived back home today from Ruger repair. Reasonably good turnaround on their repair service. Here are the gunsmith's notes on repairs:

1. Replaced magazine latch. My testing: the two original magazines slide in okay without having to wiggle them passed the magazine latch, or releasing the magazine latch. I also tried the two mags I ordered. All four work the same. The only thing is a small "catch" (more of a slight bump) as they slide passed the latch. Better loading action than what I had before repairs done.

2. Repaired rear sight assembly. No explanation what was fixed.

3. After repair, pistol was functioned fired without malfunction. Fired 40 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag 40gr CPRN.

After my next range visit, I'll post again with results --- whether the repairs were resolved, and hopefully with some reasonable target POIs. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the thread's support comments. :) Most helpful to me as I worked with Ruger through these issues.

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:03 pm

Glad you got that fixed PT when I get a chance to shoot mine I sure do like that gun. I like it more than the standard Mark series as the grip just fits my hand so much better.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55