Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New pistol -- MkIV 2245 sight in range report

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

New pistol -- MkIV 2245 sight in range report

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Brief comment before the Range Report on my new Ruger MkIV 22/45 bull barrel 5.5" pistol.

Since 2012 I've been shooting long guns with various on-going and challenging eye issues. Here it is almost seven years gone by, I can't count the number of long guns I've had, and don't want to consider the $$$ spent. But I've "thrown in the towel" (not my new Henry Orange one) on owning any rifles. The two Henry rifles listed in my signature line are at my LGS under consignment, and hopefully will sell soon. Hard to do that; but had to go that route.

I have a hefty stock of .22LR ammo. I picked up this .22LR pistol and the 10-round magazines "replace" the Henry tube magazine. It's my plinking handgun, and hope to have fun shooting it.

Today I shot this pistol for the first time. Ran through 100 rounds with no feed or ejection issues. Mix of ammo to start learning what it likes:
CCI Mini-Mag 40gr CPRN (used this to sight in the gun)
Federal 40gr CP Solid
American Eagle 38gr CP-HP

Sight in at 7 yards, off hand/one hand shooting at 7 yards, and one group at 5 yards.
The circle in this paper plate is 5" diam, and the orange bull is 1" diam.
Target picture was the last 20 rounds I shot at five yards. Had 20/20 in the 5" radius. POIs are OK to me for first-time out shooting this pistol.

DSCN3225.JPG
DSCN3225.JPG (218.03 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
MkIV 2245 sight in_3230.JPG
MkIV 2245 sight in_3230.JPG (120.48 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
DSCN3224.JPG
DSCN3224.JPG (225.53 KiB) Viewed 2126 times

There was only one glitch that I had --- at least so far. Both 10-round magazines "hang up" before being fully inserted. Need to figure out what's going on. These magazines are the new e-nickel ones Ruger is now producing, as opposed to the blued models. They are aluminum with nickel plating. One thing I do recall from loading the Standard's blued magazines, these e-nickel ones are sure easier to load up the ammo. Finger definitely doesn't get as sore! Anyway, I've ordered a couple more for my range visits.

I like the heft of this 5.5" bull barrel, and the longer sight radius. My first Ruger MkIV was the standard model with a 4.75" tapered barrel. Resembled a German Luger. This gun is easier to keep on target with its weight. The one thing I need to do is put some of my light paint on the front blade sight for more ease of sight acquisition. Other than that, just shooting it a lot will be happening!

Thanks for checking this range report out.
Have a great day.

PT7
5 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: New pistol -- MkIV 2245 sight in range report

Post by CT_Shooter » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Congratulations, PT7. That's a beautiful pistol and your first target with it is fantastic. You will only get better and better!!!
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:43 pm

PT, sorry to hear rifle shooting hasn't worked out for you. Can we assume that pistols are working for you? Sure looks like it. Keep shooting, friend. Good to see.

The Ruger Mark 512 series guns (5 1/2" bull barrel) have always been my favorite in the that gun, whether the Mark I, Mark II or Mark III. Have never shot the new Mark IV, but I assume it is similar in its balance.
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Have one of those in the lite weight model PT with a red dot on it. Like it a lot when I get to shoot it which hasn't been enough lately. Sorry to hear of the eye issues with the Henrys but I hope you are able to keep shooting most importantly.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:35 pm

It may be that the suspected glitch you are feeling is your magazine's initial contact with the magazine latch. Once it rides over the leading edge of the mag, it rides along the side of the mag until it drops into the locking notch in the side of the magazine, just like a 1911. To see if this might be the issue, feed the mag in slowly and see if it catches about where the mag release is located, then feel for the lock to drop in place. :)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Thanks, Al & NCG,

I've been doing okay with my revolvers so far. They all have front blades, and generally work pretty good. Just ordered new prescript for my trifocals, too. And I'll be getting a different style frame, which allows two of the lenses to be a little larger. I'll need to get used to that set up, but thinking it will work okay.

A handgun makes it easier for me to position the sight radius through my specs. That just doesn't happen with a long gun. I've found the best description for trying to use rifle sights is doing "Houdini contortions" with neck and head. Done with that stuff. ;)

North Country Gal wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:43 pm
PT, sorry to hear rifle shooting hasn't worked out for you. Can we assume that pistols are working for you? Sure looks like it. Keep shooting, friend. Good to see.
BigAl52 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:10 pm
... I hope you are able to keep shooting most importantly.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Marine,

Thanks. I just dis-assembled the pistol to clean it. That left me a clear view from the top of the pistol into the grip. If I look down while holding the pistol pointing downrange, the highest metal point on the right side of the magazine is catching on the magazine release. In order to get passed that "catch," either have to give it firm wiggles, or push the magazine release button to let it by. Didn't happen like that on my MkIV Standard with the blued magazines. I wonder if something not adjusted correctly on this pistol, or prob with the new e-nickel magazines? Will keep after it and let you know if I can fix.

PT7
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:35 pm
It may be that the suspected glitch you are feeling is your magazine's initial contact with the magazine latch. Once it rides over the leading edge of the mag, it rides along the side of the mag until it drops into the locking notch in the side of the magazine, just like a 1911. To see if this might be the issue, feed the mag in slowly and see if it catches about where the mag release is located, then feel for the lock to drop in place. :)
0 x

~Пока~

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:33 pm

PT,

It may be a rough spot on the bottom of the mag release, or the top of the mag, that will "wear in" with use. Could be something an armorer or Smith could polish out in a couple minutes, or, like my Competition 45s, the lockup just requires the mags to be seated "with authority" which is why I knew what to suggest you look at first. :roll:

You can give Ruger CS a call, they may be aware if it isn't an isolated issue. Years ago, they sent me a part with instructions to swap it, but offered me the option to ship the gun in and have them do it if I didn't feel capable. :D
PT7 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 pm
Marine,

Thanks. I just dis-assembled the pistol to clean it. That left me a clear view from the top of the pistol into the grip. If I look down while holding the pistol pointing downrange, the highest metal point on the right side of the magazine is catching on the magazine release. In order to get passed that "catch," either have to give it firm wiggles, or push the magazine release button to let it by. Didn't happen like that on my MkIV Standard with the blued magazines. I wonder if something not adjusted correctly on this pistol, or prob with the new e-nickel magazines? Will keep after it and let you know if I can fix.

PT7
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:35 pm
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 pm

Jim's on the right track(s) with what could be going on with the mags. The fact that they're both exhibiting the same "hang up" could be a misaligned part or it could be a wear-in issue.

Either way, I'd call Ruger C/S and see what they say. When I had a little LC9s Pro, I fought numerous magazine issues, mainly related to slide lock-back, and it made several trips to AZ for a fix, which never really worked out to my satisfaction. Lemon on my list? I dunno, but I'd call 'em and see what they say.

I'll be they've heard your story already...
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Congrats, that is a nice gun.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50