Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Classic 22 auto, the S&W 41

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Classic 22 auto, the S&W 41

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 29, 2019 6:46 pm

Have wanted one of these going on forty plus years and finally, last week, bought one at our LGS, brand new in the box. It's the S&W Model 41 22 LR semi-auto pistol, now wearing a Weigand scope mount and Burris Fastfire III red dot.

Took the 41 for its second trip to the range, this afternoon. Bill and I were both fatigued after doing some heavy yard work, earlier in the day, but too nice a day not to go shooting, so off we went to the range with a variety of guns, including the 41. Really wasn't expecting to do all that well, given we were a bit tired and, sure enough, we struggled a bit with the handguns we brought. There was one exception, though. Darned if the Model 41 didn't decide to lend a helping hand and make us look good. Says a lot about a gun when you can still shoot it, well, on one of your off days.

Did some adjusting on the red dot, then just keep pouring them in the 3" bull at 25 yards. Shot several such targets, not working too hard for group size with me just casually squeezing the trigger when the red dot settled in the bull. This target was my best, but even my worst kept 8 or 9 out of 10 shots in the black.

Finished up with a 50 yard target using a 6" bull. Shot one target to learn where to hold the red dot on the bull. Turns out I had to hold a bit high in the upper quadrant of the bull. Then shot my last target of the session with this one. Had a beautiful sub 4" group going until I pulled a couple high.

Definitely the fault of the shooter, today, not the gun. Not too worried, though. This S&W Model 41 and I are going to shoot plenty of wall-hanger groups over the summer. Just that kind of gun.

7 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Classic 22 auto, the S&W 41

Post by JEBar » Wed May 29, 2019 7:23 pm

first time I've ever seen a S&W Model 41 22 .... very interesting .... thanks for the info
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 29, 2019 8:06 pm

A little background. The S&W 41 has been around since the 50s and for generations has been at the top of the heap in guns used for formal bullseye competition, sharing that honor with the highest grade High Standard and Colt Woodsman 22 semi-autos. The High Standards and Colts are gone now, but the 41 remains. Only recently has the 41 lost ground in the competitive target sport to high end, even more expensive European 22 semi-autos.

The 41 has always been an expensive gun, with Smith refusing to downgrade it for the sake of sales. Instead, Smith has always offered their less expensive semi auto 22 models for recreational shooting and as guns to introduce beginners to competitive target shooting. Their current affordable 22 auto, of course, is the Victory and a great value it is.

Off the bench, my Victory will shoot groups right there with my 41. It's when I pick the guns up and start shooting offhand that the superb balance and trigger of the 41 makes it the better choice. I could buy almost four of the standard Victory semi-autos for what this 41 cost me. Well worth it to me with my obsession for offhand shooting, but it's completely understandable why most folks would settle for a Victory, Ruger Mark, Browning Buckmark and call it good. Those are all great guns and have shot them all, but, for me, nothing says classic semi-auto 22 like a S&W 41.
3 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:29 pm

I have owned several Model 41 S&W pistols. I regret ever selling them. Tough times meant something had to go and they were in demand. They have in my opinion been one of only a few premium American made semi auto 22's with High Standard and Colt being the other ones that were right up there in quality and performance. I would like to own another Model 41 but I am a rifle guy and my priorities are having nice rim fire rifles. NCG handles that 41 like a pro and always shoots every thing very well. Congratulations on buying an exceptional well built hand gun.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:32 pm

Yup, I'm one of the folk who "would settle for a Ruger Mark and call it good." A draw to that semi is the take-down ease for cleaning on the lastest Mark IV model. I think I remember that your favorite Ruger Mark was either the II or III.

Are the S&W 41s (or S&W semis in general) fairly easy to dis- and re-assemble? I've not had a lot of semi-auto experience, so my question is just curiosity.

Nice shooting for your off day. On a great day for me I cannot match your "off" results!
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 29, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks, guys.

Yes, the 41s are easy takedown. In that respect, have always liked them compared to the High Standards. In fact, you can swap barrels in different barrel lengths on the 41. Mine is the 5 1/2", but some iron sight shooters have favored the 7 1/2" for the longer sight radius. Can also buy custom barrels.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 pm

NCG I can't believe you never owned a S&W 41. I think I would have bet my house otherwise, given your vast collection.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 am

You make me want to drag mine out of the safe. I like the red dot on it. Of course, great work and nice target.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:49 am

NCG, Congrats that is one fine 22 Semi Auto and great shooting. Personally I also wanted one from the day I saw one. After I got my first one I liked it so much I got a second in a different barrel size even knowing barrels can be purchased separately. As you said it's not only because it's accurate but because of how it handles. Little recoil and little to no muzzle flip make it very easy to keep on target.
PT7 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:32 pm
Yup, I'm one of the folk who "would settle for a Ruger Mark and call it good." A draw to that semi is the take-down ease for cleaning on the lastest Mark IV model. I think I remember that your favorite Ruger Mark was either the II or III.

Are the S&W 41s (or S&W semis in general) fairly easy to dis- and re-assemble? I've not had a lot of semi-auto experience, so my question is just curiosity.

Nice shooting for your off day. On a great day for me I cannot match your "off" results!
PT7
Very easy indeed and in fact the elegant design means that very few parts make it such a great gun compared to my Mark IV and S&W Victory with all of those itty bitty anoying little parts.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:58 am

VERY! Nice pistol NCG. Looks like it lives up to your skill...maybe, :D congrats!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry