Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Prodigal Ruger Blackhawk 45

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Prodigal Ruger Blackhawk 45

Post by North Country Gal » Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 pm

Here's one of those prodigal gun stories that many of us have experienced.

About three years, ago, after having a terrible run of bad luck with QC issues with new Ruger revolvers, I sold off all our Ruger's in a fit of anger and frustration, save for one lone 10/22, which we kept for sentimental reasons. Really should have kept a couple of the Ruger SAs, which were great shooters and totally problem free, but I was pretty darn upset at the time. Too late to get those particular single action Ruger's back, once I let them go, but the deed was done. I later regretted it, of course. Familiar story, there.

Anyway, after getting back into my single action shooting with all these Italian made Colts, figured it was time to expand a bit on my 45 Colt shooting, maybe finding a single action that had an extra 45 auto cylinder and one that would allow me to shoot those heavy 45 Colt loads should I get the urge or have the need. Yup, maybe find another one of those Ruger Blackhawks like I used to have and just hope that it shot as good as my old one.

Sure enough, happened to stop by our LGS for some more 45 Colt ammo and there was a Ruger Blackhawk 45, just like my old one. Someone had even replaced the original factory black plastic grips with woods grips, just like my old one. Did a thorough inspection and everything checked out. The gun was in great shape, just like my old one. Came with an extra 45 auto cylinder, just like my old one. 4 5/8th inch barrel, too, just like my old one. Price was reasonable, so we bought it.

Got home and checked my old serial number records and, wouldn't you know, it actually WAS my old gun. On the way to the range, the next day, stopped at the LGS and had them check their records. Yup, my old gun. They had sold it to another customer and he had just traded it back, the day before, without ever having shot it for those three years. Go figure. My guy at the LGS got a real chuckle out of the story and wished me luck with my new "old" Ruger.

And here it is.

Got to the range and loaded p some standard 45 Colt loads and went right to work with my usual offhand shooting. Accuracy with the 45 Colt loads was excellent, right from the first shot. Sights needed no adjustment. Right where I had left them.

Swapped the 45 Colt cylinder out for the 45 auto cylinder. Elevation needed a couple of clicks of adjustment, but the 45 auto shot great, even with cheap bulk ammo, just the way I remembered it. Yup, nothing like shooting those big holes in paper at half the rice of factory 45 Colt ammo.

Got home and cleaned it and absolutely no leading of any kind, could barely tell I had shot it, thanks in part to the nice tight cylinder gap and excellent timing, just like my old one. Great trigger, just line my old one. Even fit my old holster just like my old one, all because, of course it IS my old one. This time I will NOT be selling this, my old prodigal Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt convertible. In fact, I my even give Ruger another chance and get another Ruger SA. I am one lucky cowgirl.

12 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: Prodigal Ruger Blackhawk 45

Post by RetiredSeabee » Wed May 15, 2019 9:29 pm

I love a story with a happy ending. Glad your gun found its way home.
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed May 15, 2019 9:32 pm

I was at the range today and your shooting beat everyone I saw on the pistol side. Great story on getting your old pistol back b
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Cool story one thing about it when you found out it was urs you knew it would shoot good.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 pm

outstanding ..... I'd say the universe is trying to tell you that you are destine to own and keep that 45 8-)
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 am

Touching sweet story! There is karma after all!
North Country Gal wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 pm
Here's one of those prodigal gun stories that many of us have experienced. ...
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 am

Great story, glad it's found it's way back home.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu May 16, 2019 10:26 am

Thank you for the nice comments, everyone. Yeah, nothing like buying a used gun with a 100% certainty that it will shoot, right.

As for my pistol shooting, that's a reflection of my generation and the times, back when pistol shooting meant bullseye competition, hunting and pistol silhouette, all of which I did. Standards of accuracy are much different for those disciplines than self-defense and action shooting which now dominate the pistol shooting scene. That's a whole different school of handgun shooting. I'd be a rookie, there, and probably flounder. In short, by today's standards of pistol shooting, me and my pistol shooting are relics past their expiration date, more in the realm of stunt shooting than anything practical. Oh, yeah, times have changed in the shooting world.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:24 am

LOL You kept saying "just like my old gun" and obviously everybody starts thinking......could it be?

Still didn't expect the ending, congratulations
0 x

BobGinVA
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by BobGinVA » Sun May 19, 2019 7:58 pm

Glad you "found" it again...I've had the same 45C/45ACP Blackhawk for nigh onto 40 years (I think I picked it up about 1980 or so). It actually is one of the most accurate pistols I've ever had. I guess I'll now have to pull it out of the safe, blow off the dust and shoot it...I always have plenty of 45C ammo around as I shoot Pistol Cart. Lever Gun Silh. with a Marlin 45C Cowboy (since I already shot 45C, its the reason I went with the Marlin in 45..) Have a good day. BobG in VA
0 x