Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

SA shooting groove

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

SA shooting groove

Post by North Country Gal » Thu May 09, 2019 1:09 pm

No, not SA as in single action, this time. Nope, SA as in Browning SA 22 semi auto 22 rifle.

Been catching on range work a lot this past couple of weeks, shooting Contenders a lot as well as our single shots and bolt guns. That gets to be some pretty serious work, though, since those are seriously accurate guns. When I need to relax a bit and just shoot for fun in an old-fashioned 22 plinking kind of way, I love to grab one of our Browning SA 22 semi-autos. Make no mistake, the Browning SA 22 is a very accurate gun, too, should you can to put it on a bench and shoot at 50 yards. (I have shown this in other posts.) Nothing wrong with shooting off a bench rest, of course, but that's not what the little jewel of a gun the Browning SA 22 really is all about. The little Brownings are made to carry, to hunt, be a companion in the field and, most of all, to just throw to your shoulder and start shooting. Save the fancy target stuff for other guns.

This time out I was using one of the new compact Leupold Freedom 2-7x compact scopes on this 2018 vintage SA 22. The scope is small enough not to overwhelm the little Browning and ruin its fine balance. May just go to a red dot, though, for even more relaxed shooting at some point.

SA shooting groove for me can also refer to shooting a semi auto. There's no denying that a semi auto can provide a shooting advantage over other action types. No changing your hold to operate a manual action, no interruption of the sight picture other than recoil, no breaking your concentration on the target. Just allow the sights to settle back on target and shoot, again, and again, and again. In no time at all I find myself getting into the rhythm of the thing and before I know it, the gun is empty. For me, it's both mesmerizing and addictive.

Again, nothing fancy, here, as far as shooting technique and routine. Just throw the gun to my shoulder, don't over think it and just shoot, again, and again, and again, squeezing shots off as soon as the crosshairs settle back on target.

Getting a little uptight with your shooting? Grab one of these little Brownings or your favorite lever or pump gun and relax. Don't overthink it. Just throw the gun to your shoulder and just shoot. Now you're in your own personal shooting groove. Just bring plenty of ammo.

6 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: SA shooting groove

Post by dddrees » Thu May 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Oh thank goodness, for a minute there I thought you were going to talk me into yet another gun. LOL

Great narrative, again thanks for all your help. I agree this is one fabulous 22 rifle.

Cheers,

Dan
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: SA shooting groove

Post by markiver54 » Thu May 09, 2019 1:35 pm

Very nice!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry