Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

First Range Report of 2019 from Central VA Marine

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

First Range Report of 2019 from Central VA Marine

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:43 pm

As I stated in an earlier post, I have been dying to get out on the range, and Miss T needed to shoot the new gun she was going to carry due to a purse change. The range finally dried up a bit and this afternoon was beautiful. I took the Sig P220, the Smith 340, and the baby Glock 26 out and we prepared to break in the Spring. :) It wasn't a long drive, just across the back yard to the Range house and small deck on the Ranger UTV.

Back yard:
back yard.jpg
back yard.jpg (325.69 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
-- The hutch on the left, straight ahead is Miss Tina's soap shop, and my wood shop on the right.

Ranger UTV and Range House and Deck.
range house and deck.jpg
range house and deck.jpg (294.12 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Once I got out there, I opened up the range house, got eyes and ears, a target frame put together and set out about twelve yards down range.
range house.jpg
range house.jpg (130.7 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
berm.jpg
berm.jpg (343.74 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
I laid out the guns and got ready to shoot.
the group.jpg
the group.jpg (183.59 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
-- Smith 340 357 scandium frame, Glock 26 9mm, and the SIG P220 45

I fired my first group with the SIG, it's been nearly a year, but that group at 12 yards offhand, wasn't bad. It signaled Miss T that I was ready as well, and she wandered over from the bunny hutches where she had been working.
first seven sig rounds.jpg
first seven sig rounds.jpg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
-- one round a tad low, and six rounds touching, from twelve yards. Not bad for an old guy.

I put aside my practice and got her started with the Glock 26. That didn't go as planned. :evil: She was putting some into the black, but flinching and pulling some out into the white around the bullseyes. Something was "biting her." I looked over the gun to see if the grip had been gouged somehow but the gun was like new. She showed me her pinky and sure enough, there was a pinch mark. I had an idea then what the issue was. The extended mag was moving a bit and pinching her finger. That wasn't going to work, so I rode back up to the house and pulled her "Old Companion" from the safe... the Smith 642 Airweight. Her first group from the Airweight, reminded her why she used to love the gun. Fired at about 7 yards, as quickly as she could obtain a sight picture, proved she still had the touch.
tina's 642 group.jpg
tina's 642 group.jpg (162.5 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
She fired a ten shot group, then eyed the SIG 45. :roll:
Her groups at ten yards, first round double action and following rounds single action were sweet.
That belly button hole was a double action shot where she let the heavy double action pull drag the barrel down. Once she knew what she had done, she only made that mistake once. :)
tina's sig and 642 group.jpg
tina's sig and 642 group.jpg (123.94 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
-- multiple strings with the 38 and two seven round strings with the SIG, I was impressed. The 38 groups at about seven yards, the SIG Groups at 10. Since she isn't a regular shooter, NOT bad at all.

This really turned into a Tina range day, but I did practice with the SIG.. firing about 21 rounds, using her belly button shot as my aiming point at 12 yards. Not a bad group for a Broken Ol' Marine. ;) NOT rapid fire, but not target style slow fire or bench rested either. Smooth Double action, fire two or three single action, decock and repeat. All my shots fired with a two handed unsupported hold, standing.
my sig group.jpg
my sig group.jpg (101.41 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
So, I'll clean all the guns, the 26 will go back in the safe, and Tina will carry the 642 for warm weather, or until she goes back to a larger purse, then she'll go back to the Compensated Glock 23C. I will carry the Smith 340, or the SIG P220 when clothing allows for it. WE have been partners for a long time, more than two decades. Can't wait to get back out on the range and shoot a bit more.

Next visit? More SIG, and the Model 64 38.
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: First Range Report from Central VA Marine

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 pm

Remind not to sneak up on your place in the dark. Nice shooting for both of you.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Nice job by both of you sharpshooters! My Sig collection has shrunk, but I still have a 220 SSE "Carry" that was a bucket list item. Haven't shot it in a while, but your report has given me the itch!
Thanks for sharing!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:42 pm

Then there is the other side of the coin, for us Marines, at least. You shoot it, you clean it, even if it's one or two rounds. ;)
Some folks hate the cleaning. :x I love the smell of Hoppes solvent, the breakdown and reassembly of the guns, and use my optivisor to inspect the nooks and crannies while I have the chance. Just in case. Who knows, might need to replace a pin, find something cracked, or there may be some carbon buildup thinking it's being slick. 8-) You know those chunks like to hide in revolvers, then jump out and gum up the works at just the worst time.

So... Turn on some background music... Country, of course... Josh Turner this evening, and got'er done. Four guns, one back to the safe, three back to their duty rides. :)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:54 pm

Wonderful report! Congrats to both of you on some nice shooting. Loved it.
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:08 pm

Very nice job on your range report B' Marine and great shooting! This was a good day to bring the guns out.
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 pm

nicely done .... nicely done indeed
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:52 pm

Good reporting Jim. Ya'll done GREAT!!!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:56 pm

Im jealous Marine of the entire report. Range in the backyard is a dream. Not to mention the surroundings. Nice country and nice shooting.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:02 am

That first target, there's basically just two holes.
1 x