Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

I finally got to the range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: I finally got to the range

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:13 pm

Wow, that is a lot of gear for a range visit. :shock: I take a box of bullets & a gun... :roll:
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Looks nice Dave all except for the hurting hand of course. I thought that gun might give you a talkin to. I bet time you got all the stuff loaded and unloaded you worked up a big ole thirst to for perhaps an adult evening beverage.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:25 pm

Great report, Dave. Have to say, that's an all day long shooting setup. there. Very impressive.

Yeah, all the snub nose Smiths I've owned had those beautiful, slim wood grips. I do understand Smith's thinking on this as most folks are using these for carry and concealment, so those grips make sense. For shooting, though? Yeah, ouch.
0 x

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Great pictures sir! The most necessary item that I noticed was the thermos of coffee.. It is a must for my range outings!
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:16 pm

Mags wrote:.
Impressive armory there! Good to read you got out and made a day of it. Where are your paper plate results?

pinkchk_xsm.png
daytime dave wrote:I finally got to the range a few days ago. ...
Sorry Mags, no pictures of pie plates. It was a shakedown cruise for a few guns and little time to show the mediocre results by photographing. I was sighting in and testing this and that. I'll try to snap a few pics next time when the new revolvers grips and holsters get in. I'll say that TK moon clip loader and de-mooning tool are worth every nickle I was hemming and hawing about. Awesome tools of the trade.
3 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:53 pm

Wow, that is a lot of gear for a range visit.
Not really - I look about the same - but with a folding table, chairs and target stands since I have to set up out in the woods. I sometimes wish I had a range closer to me (closest is about an hour) but I have been shooting in the woods all my life and have learned to deal with it and make it as simple and hassle free as I can.
YGUN6693[1].jpeg
YGUN6693[1].jpeg (235.05 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Mistered wrote:
Wow, that is a lot of gear for a range visit.
Not really - I look about the same - but with a folding table, chairs and target stands since I have to set up out in the woods. I sometimes wish I had a range closer to me (closest is about an hour) but I have been shooting in the woods all my life and have learned to deal with it and make it as simple and hassle free as I can.
I think I'd personally rather shoot in the woods.
To me, that's a more realistic range. I would rather ride up the mountain on my 4-wheeler, to some known places and shoot to my heart's content...no one else around. :)
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:32 pm

To me, that's a more realistic range. I would rather ride up the mountain on my 4-wheeler, to some known places and shoot to my heart's content...no one else around.
Yea - kind of what I have always done.
Shooting for me has always been a 'natural' undertaking - I couldn't imagine having to use a range as my only shooting resource - It would almost be like owing a boat and having to put it in a swimming pool to use.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Mistered wrote:
To me, that's a more realistic range. I would rather ride up the mountain on my 4-wheeler, to some known places and shoot to my heart's content...no one else around.
Yea - kind of what I have always done.
Shooting for me has always been a 'natural' undertaking - I couldn't imagine having to use a range as my only shooting resource - It would almost be like owing a boat and having to put it in a swimming pool to use.
:D good analogy...I agree Ed!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:49 am

Dave, I agree, wholeheartedly, that if you're going to shoot with moon clips, tools are worth every penny spent. What I used to do when shooting a revolver that used moon clips, is to buy a bunch of extra clips and load them up the night, before. Allowed me to make better use of my shooting time at the range the next day.
1 x