Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry VS Marlin

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Henry VS Marlin

Post by Greyhawk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:04 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Greyhawk wrote: 50 Yards were my plinker hand loads: 48 grains of 3031 with a Hornady 300 grain hollow point.
I’m curious why you shoot expensive jacketed bullets with that big a charge for plinking.... have you tried cast lead with Trail Boss? I am a big fan of TB for just farting around, so to speak. I even use it in my .SP101 .327 with cheap 100 gr cowboy bullets for plinking.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... p?t=458140

You can get .458” bulk bullets for about $0.20 each. The Hornadys are what, about $0.50? These are super cheap and very accurate at low velocities (1400 fps max).

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/12357 ... box-of-250

John Davies
Spokane WA
I guess after thinking about it everything boils down to my Cabela's card. I use it as much as possible and pay it off every month. So far with my points I've gotten free Henry rifle, A Glock 42, My Marlin 1895 was only a couple hundred bucks, and almost all of my hand loading equipment has been free. I get all of my brass and bullets from Cabelas with my points and they always have Hornady bullets in stock. (That's why I haven't tried ballistic silvertips yet, because Cabelas doesn't carry them!) So, I guess free Hornady bullets are cheaper than anything else that I can think of. I get all of my powder and primers locally so that I don't have to pay hazmat fees.
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if you come to prefer the tube mag at the range.

I started out with a tube fed Henry. I tried a side gate Marlin, and hated it. Very difficult to get a round in without some kind of tool.

Yeah, I would probably get used to it, if I had one and shot it much.

I think a lot depends on what you started out on. Having said that, the rounds drop into the tube mag effortlessly.
1 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:58 pm

clovishound wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if you come to prefer the tube mag at the range.

I started out with a tube fed Henry. I tried a side gate Marlin, and hated it. Very difficult to get a round in without some kind of tool.

Yeah, I would probably get used to it, if I had one and shot it much.

I think a lot depends on what you started out on. Having said that, the rounds drop into the tube mag effortlessly.
Yes, there is something special about drawing that big honkin brass tube forth like a broad-sword out of a scabbard.. and then dropping in a few rounds that are as big as your thumb that just touches something deep inside a guy! :lol: A side gate just can't compare I guess!
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:00 pm

clovishound wrote:I tried a side gate Marlin, and hated it. Very difficult to get a round in without some kind of tool.
My first lever action (336W) has a load gate. And yes, the gate was very stiff initially (still some). But, I figured it will wear itself in with use. Yet, my third lever's (1894C) loading gate does not seem as stiff. Maybe, it has to do with the cartridge (30-30 vs .357)?
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Greyhawk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Greyhawk » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 pm

GFK wrote:
clovishound wrote:I tried a side gate Marlin, and hated it. Very difficult to get a round in without some kind of tool.
My first lever action (336W) has a load gate. And yes, the gate was very stiff initially (still some). But, I figured it will wear itself in with use. Yet, my third lever's (1894C) loading gate does not seem as stiff. Maybe, it has to do with the cartridge (30-30 vs .357)?
I have 2- 336's also along with the 1895.. I guess I haven't had much trouble loading any of them.. Food for thought though.. These rifles are older (50's, 70's and 90's) and were Marlin made... I wonder if the newer (Rem) Marlins are as smooth to load?
0 x