Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Some spring shooting fun

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Some spring shooting fun

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:14 am

Thank you, again, for the nice comments, folks.

Dan, those are medium height Leupold Standard rings. Base is also a Leupold Standard, specifically for the Low Wall Hunter. The Hunter series has a thinner, tapered octagonal barrel than other version of the Miroku 1885, so they need to be a different height to accommodate that taper.

Not to tempt, but ... Miroku, in the past, has also made versions of the Hunter in centerfire calibers. We were lucky enough to find one in 223. Only difference between it and the Rimfire versions is no sights and it extracts, rather than ejects, empties. 1885s are not standard production guns for Winchester/Miroku in that they are made in small batches in select calibers. When those sell out, they bring out new calibers and configurations. This is something that Ruger now does on their No.1 single shot.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:17 am

North Country Gal wrote:Thank you, again, for the nice comments, folks.

Dan, those are medium height Leupold Standard rings. Base is also a Leupold Standard, specifically for the Low Wall Hunter. The Hunter series has a thinner, tapered octagonal barrel than other version of the Miroku 1885, so they need to be a different height to accommodate that taper.

Not to tempt, but ... Miroku, in the past, has also made versions of the Hunter in centerfire calibers. We were lucky enough to find one in 223. Only difference between it and the Rimfire versions is no sights and it extracts, rather than ejects, empties. 1885s are not standard production guns for Winchester/Miroku in that they are made in small batches in select calibers. When those sell out, they bring out new calibers and configurations. This is something that Ruger now does on their No.1 single shot.
Thanks for sharing, always find information like this interesting and extremely helpful. I remember someone recommending a 223, but when I checked Winchester they weren't even making one in this caliber. Frankly I think I wanted to stick with cheaper Rimfire Calibers anyway, but from your explanation I can now understand why it may not be currently available. From what I have seen and based on other posters on various forums it does seem Winchester is somewhat known for their limited editions. In fact it does seem I was extremely fortunate to get a 1873 with a shotgun butt stock. If I had the desire I probably should have gotten one in a higher caliber than 357 as the crescent style butt stocks aren't very shoulder friendly especially with larger calibers. They also made a 1892 in takedown configuration last year and I find that somewhat desirable. Unfortunately with everything else this maybe one I never get. In fact one persons advice who told me about this in the first place was that if you see something you want when it comes to the Miroku Winchesters you best jump on it quick because you never know how long they will be making it.

Unfortunately it appears as Leopold no longer sells the VX2 4x12x40mm but sells another VX-Freedom 4-12x40 which does not include the AO nor does it appear that it has the lifetime warranty or at least that warranty was in the VX2 description but not in the VX-Freedom. Seems from a few reviews the VX2 was the better scope. Wonder if I might be better looking at other brands like Weaver.

Weaver has a 3 - 9 x 32 with AO for rimfire for about the same price as the Leopold. Seems the magnification wouldn't be as great but it does have an AO. Not sure what base might be good but I would think medium rings would still be the answer.

Any thoughts on Weaver Scopes and that specific magnification?

Thanks again,

Dan
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Dan, I like an AO on a 17 HMR or 22 mag, simply because you'll likely be shooting it up close at typical 22 LR distances or out there at centerfire rifle distances. Nice to be able to focus the scope, specifically, via the AO for any distance.

Certainly not essential to have 12x for even 100 yard shooting, by the way. 9x will certainly do.

My experience with the Freedom and the VX2 line does not support the notion that the VX 2 is noticeably better. If anything, I think the contrast on the Freedom line is better.

Be aware that Weaver scopes are going belly up. Now owned by Bushnell who will continue to warranty them. If you can find one, the Bushnell Elites are at least as good in terms of optics and quality.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:39 pm

What everybody else said x2
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:31 am

North Country Gal wrote:Dan, I like an AO on a 17 HMR or 22 mag, simply because you'll likely be shooting it up close at typical 22 LR distances or out there at centerfire rifle distances. Nice to be able to focus the scope, specifically, via the AO for any distance.

Certainly not essential to have 12x for even 100 yard shooting, by the way. 9x will certainly do.

My experience with the Freedom and the VX2 line does not support the notion that the VX 2 is noticeably better. If anything, I think the contrast on the Freedom line is better.

Be aware that Weaver scopes are going belly up. Now owned by Bushnell who will continue to warranty them. If you can find one, the Bushnell Elites are at least as good in terms of optics and quality.

The challenge has been finding a scope with an AO. I took a quick look at Bushnell last night and couldn't even find one as with Leopold. Weaver had one and Nikon did as well. It does seem Nikon is a lower cost alternative but typically lower cost indicates lesser something but it does seeem that their warranty is the best so far I have seen in writing anyway.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:51 am

I agree that lower price is usually a sign of lower quality, but not in the case of Nikon. Nikon's expertise in lens making filters right down to their lowest cost scopes. They make their own lenses. Everyone else in the industry until you get up to Zeiss and Swarovski, contracts their lenses from various sources. This includes Leupold, by the way.

Also, Nikon produces their scopes in Nikon managed plants, even the ones outside of Japan. They don't simply go shopping for someone to make their scopes on contract. I have no hesitation putting Nikon scopes on my very best guns.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:02 am

North Country Gal wrote:I agree that lower price is usually a sign of lower quality, but not in the case of Nikon. Nikon's expertise in lens making filters right down to their lowest cost scopes. They make their own lenses. Everyone else in the industry until you get up to Zeiss and Swarovski, contracts their lenses from various sources. This includes Leupold, by the way.

Also, Nikon produces their scopes in Nikon managed plants, even the ones outside of Japan. They don't simply go shopping for someone to make their scopes on contract. I have no hesitation putting Nikon scopes on my very best guns.
Sounds great and very reasurring and that's why I wanted to run it by you and see what you thought. The detail you go into is extremely helpful. I think however I'm going to look around a bit though and get a feel for what all is out there in case I missed anything but I am very glad to hear this is a solid option. I just like to get as good feel what all my options are before I commit to something. Hate thinking I overlooked anything and then regret a choice I make later.

I really do appreaciate all of your help.

Thanks,

Dan
0 x