Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ 457 MTR 22 LR preview

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: CZ 457 MTR 22 LR preview

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:27 am

Thanks for the nice comments, folks.

Oh, the 453 V isn't going anywhere, since they are so hard to find, now. Great gun, but always thought the stock on it was pretty basic, not really designed to maximize the gun's potential. Looks like CZ really put a lot of thought into the design of the 457 MTR, though, and the wood is beautiful. The pics don't do it justice.
1 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:27 pm

Please post comments on the action, and the trigger feel once you have tweaked it. I am interested in a 457 Varmint AT-ONE. Do you know anything about that adjustable stock? .... https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-varmint-at-one/

I used to have a 453 Varmint .22 LR and idiotically sold it. I once shot a ten round group of Mini Mags at 50 yards that measured 5/8”. It was a total fluke, but I still have the target.

Do you use the single shot adapter when shooting for groups? Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi John

This is the first 457 I've seen, so can't comment on any other versions, though I do have experience with adjustable stocks on other target rifles. I like them, but not something I'd want for field work. Just depends on your application and, of course, your taste in gun styles.

Yes, I prefer a single shot adapter when shooting for groups and if none is available, I will try to load, singly, as best I can. On some guns it is pretty doable, on others, not so much. While running rounds through a mag can scar up a 22 LR bullet, either running through the mag or being pushed up into the chamber, it really depends on the gun. On some guns, then, loading singly might not make much of a difference. Just a habit of mine that I've been doing for many years, so I just do it when I can, even if it makes no difference as far as accuracy. That, and I just like going single shot, anyway. Find that it calms me and that's a good thing when shooting for groups.

When I'm in the mood to pick up the pace, I usually go straight to a semi auto and that kind of action does have it's own advantages for shooting, too.

Mini mags have always been my go to HV 22 LR ammo. Always make sure to have some on hand. Don't use it much, these days, because I shoot SV target ammo, more, but the Mini mags are a great 22 LR round.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Boyds makes a number of stocks for that gun
boyds cz527.jpg
boyds cz527.jpg (113.19 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:41 pm

That's a chunk of lumber on that one. Look forward to range report.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Me, too. :) Only problem is we just got another snowstorm with 7" of snow and some ice.

Oops, for got to comment on the 457 action. It is a shorter action than the 452, 453 and 455 and I very much like the CZ 527 style bolt release on the side of the receiver. That was a nice touch. Has flat sides for a modern look, instead of the more rudimentary round sides of the earlier models. Another nice touch. Basically as smooth as the previous CZ rimfire actions and, like those, I expect it to smooth up, nicely, with use. No binding, whatsoever, out of the box. Very nice. Mine locks up nice and tight, but not so tights to be a struggle. Love that it also takes 455 magazines and single shot adapters. It does come with a metal magazine, but I actually prefer the polymer mags as far as smooth functioning and have never had an issue with one. One instance where I actually prefer polymer. The biggest improvement by far on the 457 action is the much improved shorter 60 degree bolt throw. CZ was listening t all the complaints about the 90 degree bolt throw on the earlier models. More than one user of the 452s and 455s had their bolt replaced or bent to get better clearance with a scope. Action bedding has supposedly also been improved with the 457, but haven't had the chance yet to check out that feature. Again, I think CZ did a great job on listening to what CZ fans wanted as far as improvements over the 452s, 455s.
0 x