Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

CZ 457 MTR 22 LR preview

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

CZ 457 MTR 22 LR preview

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:03 pm

Was at out local shop, chatting with the owner, last week. Knowing that I'm a big fan of CZs (have bought enough of them from him :)), he asked me what's new in the world of CZ rimfires. I told him the CZ world is all abuzz about the new model rimfire, the 457. He asked if I'd like to have him bring one for me to check out and, if so, which one would be a good seller for him. I told him sure, get the new 457 MTR (varmint match target rifle), since that was the version all the forums were talking about. Not that I would buy it, of course, but I would love to see one, just the same. (He just smiled.)

Stopped in, today, and there it was. Honestly, I had no intention of buying this gun, since our other CZs are all I could ever ask for in terms of a great rimfire bolt gun. Problem was, the wonderful stock on this version of the 457. Fell in love with the ergonomics the minute I put it in my hands. Yup, a no holds barred bench gun stock, extraodinaire. Big wide flat forearm with one stud for a sling swivel and another for a bipod. Huge palm swell pistol grip and stock that you could fall asleep on while looking through the scope. Classic target stippling instead of cheesy checkering. (All high grade competition target rifles use stippling.) A nice rubber buttplate instead of slippery plastic. All in all, a lot of thought went into this stock design. The final straw was the gorgeous wood. I caved, big time.

Not done yet, though. True, heavy bull 20" barrel. Short 60 degree throw bolt - a big improvement over the earlier models of CZs with the 90 degree throw bolt and all the scope mounting headaches it caused. Slab sided action for a sleek modern appearance. Safety works in the same direction as all bolt gun safeties work, now, instead of backwards on the earlier CZ models. Wonderfull fully adjustable trigger that breaks like glass. Out of the box trigger is a touch heavier than my modded CZs, but should be a breeze to get down where I want it. Definitely a more sophisticated trigger than the 452 or 455 trigger. Better quality floor plate than the earlier stamped floor plates. Best of all, the first CZ rimfire with an actual match chamber.

Overall, the best finished stock CZ rimfire I've seen to date. Would have to go to one of their deluxe editions to beat it. Some more pics.

On the scary side, this is by far the most expensive CZ rimfire I've bought to date. It will cost as much as a new Browning T-bolt, but unlike the new T-bolt, there is no plastic on a CZ 457 and no need for an expensive trigger mod to get a match grade trigger.

Won't be getting out this week for any testing, thanks to a monster snowstorm headed our way, but I promise a nice range report when I can.

This is how a high grade bench rimfire should be built. CZ even says they give the MTR a bit more attention. Reminds me very much of some of the classic Anshutz high grade match rifles. A lot of 200 and 300 yard rimfire competitors have been gobbling these up and I can see why. Stay tuned.
8 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: CZ 457 MTR 22 LR preview

Post by fortyshooter » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:44 pm

That's the wildest stock I've seen and the grain is very nice! How much does it weigh?
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:27 pm

Nice. Im think that pawn shop owner has youre number NCG.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:34 pm

What a beautiful and unique gun. Looks HEAVY :D
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:35 pm

Very, very cool. Will be interested in range report, even though I could probably never afford one. :(
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:41 pm

markiver54 wrote:Very, very cool. Will be interested in range report, even though I could probably never afford one. :(
I think the person that purchases a gun like this is in that <1% category, as far as shooters go :D

Besides Mark, how would we lift it? :lol:
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:56 pm

Henry88 wrote:
markiver54 wrote:Very, very cool. Will be interested in range report, even though I could probably never afford one. :(
I think the person that purchases a gun like this is in that <1% category, as far as shooters go :D

Besides Mark, how would we lift it? :lol:
I have an old bolt action Anschutz that my Dad bought me when I was about 12 yrs old...it's 8 lbs. That was heavy for a twelve year old, however, accuracy was very good given the weight. I guess it's what kind of shooting one wants to do. Will never let that rifle go though.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:11 am

Listed weight is 7 pounds, so still a gun I can shoot for my offhand work. In fact, balance is very good for offhand work, thanks in part to that heavy swell on the pistol grip. The stock actually reminds me and feels like the stocks on some of my English and German air guns. Part of the reason I liked it so much, right away. Have to wonder if CZ might be sourcing the stock on this one from the same maker.

Closest thing I already have to this MTR is another CZ in a 453 varmint in 22 LR. The balance on the 453, however, is noticeably more muzzle heavy and awkward, though it weighs the same as the MTR. Don't let the looks of the stock on the MTR fool you. The MTR is a definitely a nicer handling gun than my old 453.
2 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:19 am

Very nice, Congrats!!!

Thanks again for going into such vivid detail and once again helping me to understand why those details matter.

Cheers,

Dan
0 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:06 pm

I'll bet that old 453 is getting nervous - there's a new kid in town ;) . Great review, that looks like a really good rifle.
0 x