Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Indoor range blues

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Indoor range blues

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Went to the local 25 yd range today to try my SGC that I received back from Henry yesterday.
My take...not a good place for use with Skinners. May not apply to ALL indoor ranges, but results were not good.
Started out at 25 yds and result was Bad! About 6" group? Rear aperture all but disappeared at that distance. So, I pulled it in to about 15 yds and got less than 1" group because rear aperature then became clear. Tried three different loads with no better results at 25yds. Lighting is very bad at my local range at distance. I decided that this particular shooting facility is better suited for close up SD practice. Got home and pointed my rifle outside...crystal clear picture. But I can't shoot in city limits! Bottom line is; till I can get up to the summer cabin, shoot outside and not worry about being hurried because of range time clock ticking, will not return to the indoor range again except for handgun practice. :(
2 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Indoor range blues

Post by ESquared » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:05 pm

The poor lighting and relatively short available distance (50 yds max) is what led me to quit my indoor range and seek natural light at some of the local Dept of Conservation out door ranges. The one closest to me is still closed for another month for renovations to the rifle area, which is good. Can't be beat for $3/hour.

The downside is the next closest one is on the far side of KC from me (the far, far side!), so it's about 90 miles round trip.

Makes these next few trips longer and more carefully planned...
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:14 pm

I feel your pain. I love to shoot but the only range close to me is a 25 yd indoor with crappy lighting. Taking a rifle with open sights gets uncomfortable very quickly because of eye strain. A good scope helps but at 25 yards not much of a challenge to shoot.
Same thing with pistols not being able to see the target at more than fifteen yards because of the lightning makes shooting difficult.
Try not to focus on the rear aperture at all just look through it. Focus on the front post and let the target be out of focus but visible. Your eye will naturally center the front post in line with the rear aperture.
2 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:15 pm

ESquared wrote:The poor lighting and relatively short available distance (50 yds max) is what led me to quit my indoor range and seek natural light at some of the local Dept of Conservation out door ranges. The one closest to me is still closed for another month for renovations to the rifle area, which is good. Can't be beat for $3/hour.

The downside is the next closest one is on the far side of KC from me (the far, far side!), so it's about 90 miles round trip.

Makes these next few trips longer and more carefully planned...
Thanks Evan, I'm trying not to be too discouraged. Not going to change a thing yet on the SGC. Do like the rifle a lot.
Just know that I and the rifle are better than conditions permitted me to accomplish today....Nicer weather is coming soon...I hope. Will re-attempt in better conditions and lighting.keeping chin up. I know I'm a better shooter than I saw today....heck, I can down a squirrel at 40 yds with my Sheridan pump....what's with that? Off hand with the pump I might add....go figure. :?
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:18 pm

RetiredSeabee wrote:I feel your pain. I love to shoot but the only range close to me is a 25 yd indoor with crappy lighting. Taking a rifle with open sights gets uncomfortable very quickly because of eye strain. A good scope helps but at 25 yards not much of a challenge to shoot.
Same thing with pistols not being able to see the target at more than fifteen yards because of the lightning makes shooting difficult.
Try not to focus on the rear aperture at all just look through it. Focus on the front post and let the target be out of focus but visible. Your eye will naturally center the front post in line with the rear aperture.
Thank you also David, sounds like good advise and will keep that in mind! :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Another consideration is that this local range is $8.00 for first 1/2 hr then $7.00 for each additional 1/2. So, figure hanging target, loading mag then running the target down range. Then wait for it to quit swinging.time is ticking and I get ticked off! Not the best, relaxed shooting conditions. :(
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:52 pm

How much longer until "cabin season"?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:01 pm

Mark, I hear you. I have two indoor fairly close by. Handguns, ok,but, my .357 rifle; NADA! Lighting just ain't there.
So, now, its out to the desert for some can dancing. Hopefully you'll be at the cabin soon enough. Hang in there!
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:07 pm

ESquared wrote:How much longer until "cabin season"?
Mid May, unfotunately, will seem like an eternity. Have to wait till there are no more potential freezes up there before we can open.
House is not winterized, so still anti freeze in pipes. Lotta damage potential if we are not patient. ;) about 4500 ft up and weather can still get harsh this time of year.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:10 pm

Rifletom wrote:Mark, I hear you. I have two indoor fairly close by. Handguns, ok,but, my .357 rifle; NADA! Lighting just ain't there.
So, now, its out to the desert for some can dancing. Hopefully you'll be at the cabin soon enough. Hang in there!
Thanks Buddy, trying to be patient. It's been a long wet winter. Trying to hang in there for some realistic fun... :D
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry