Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Indoor range blues

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Indoor range blues

Post by fortyshooter » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 pm

I gave up on indoor ranges due to bad lighting, noise,bad air and waiting for a spot to open up.
Then I discovered the local Army base opened up one of their outdoor training ranges on Sundays only which was a deal for 5 bucks per hour.
Just love shooting out in the open air!
Hope you can get to your summer cabin soon as it sounds like a great place to be!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:01 pm

markiver54 wrote:Not going to change a thing yet on the SGC. Do like the rifle a lot.
Just know that I and the rifle are better than conditions permitted me to accomplish today....
Agreed on keeping the SGC as is....makes really good sense.

As you, David, and Evan all commented, I have the same challenges shooting my SGC indoors. Outdoors is the best. In fact, I've shot at the FJ range, which Evan uses. His is 50 yards with very dim lighting; mine is also an FJ range, with max 25 yards; but I think a touch better lighting. Still too dim to shoot with peeps well. Glad you'll have an outdoor spot soon.
0 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:07 pm

PT7 wrote:
markiver54 wrote:Not going to change a thing yet on the SGC. Do like the rifle a lot.
Just know that I and the rifle are better than conditions permitted me to accomplish today....
Agreed on keeping the SGC as is....makes really good sense.

As you, David, and Evan all commented, I have the same challenges shooting my SGC indoors. Outdoors is the best. In fact, I've shot at the FJ range, which Evan uses. His is 50 yards with very dim lighting; mine is also an FJ range, with max 25 yards; but I think a touch better lighting. Still too dim to shoot with peeps well. Glad you'll have an outdoor spot soon.
Thank you Bob, really looking forward to it. Will definitely post when it happens. Getting antsy...
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Its all about Huckleberrys isnt it Mark.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:21 pm

Indoors you have to believe you are in the Gem Saloon, and you'll shoot better. ;)
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:33 pm

When I got out, we rented inside the city limits for the first year while I got settled. :roll: If you want to call it that. :D we found a house in the country on an acre lot, and before I closed I made Sure I could shoot there by asking the Sheriff in person. When I bought the next house it was farther out, on eight acres, and zoned agricultural. We later added to that acreage. :)

I didn't like any of the indoor ranges. At the two I used, you had to buy their ammo, their targets, and too many rules. No speed loads. (I could understand the reasoning, but hard to practice for a match...). No rapid fire string longer than three shots. The thing I disliked the most... Some of the other shooters... You know what I mean. But that is an entirely different thread. :lol:
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:38 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:When I got out, we rented inside the city limits for the first year while I got settled. :roll: If you want to call it that. :D we found a house in the country on an acre lot, and before I closed I made Sure I could shoot there by asking the Sheriff in person. When I bought the next house it was farther out, on eight acres, and zoned agricultural. We later added to that acreage. :)

I didn't like any of the indoor ranges. At the two I used, you had to buy their ammo, their targets, and too many rules. No speed loads. (I could understand the reasoning, but hard to practice for a match...). No rapid fire string longer than three shots. The thing I disliked the most... Some of the other shooters... You know what I mean. But that is an entirely different thread. :lol:
I hear ya loud and clear Marine..( no pun intended..well maybe ) last time I was there a guy with a 460 handgun was in the next lane...talk about concentration....NOT!! Only time in the last ten years I wished I'd had my 500 to talk back to him. Again... NOT..I would be totally deaf now... :)
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:44 pm

markiver54 wrote:
BrokenolMarine wrote:When I got out, we rented inside the city limits for the first year while I got settled. :roll: If you want to call it that. :D we found a house in the country on an acre lot, and before I closed I made Sure I could shoot there by asking the Sheriff in person. When I bought the next house it was farther out, on eight acres, and zoned agricultural. We later added to that acreage. :)

I hear ya loud and clear Marine..( no pun intended..well maybe ) last time I was there a guy with a 460 handgun was in the next lane...talk about concentration....NOT!!
That and the rude conduct, unsafe gun handling, visiting in your lane WHILE you are shooting, and horseplay between friends in the range area. There is a time and place for everything, but a firing line is not the place for practical joking. That's why was so happy to have my own range. I can shoot in peace and control the range. Someone once said, "Geez, you run your range like it was a range at Parris Islsnd."
I smiled and said, "Thanks, and in all this time, never any problems."

(Those who balk at rules, don't come back... Lol)
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:51 pm

Got that right!!!, maybe time to spend a little more time in my small wood shop.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry