Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Off to the Range today

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
mrowan
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Off to the Range today

Post by mrowan » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:41 pm

I bought my 44 Magnum Silver in mid February. I have mostly shot it indoors given the winter weather in Chicago. Well, until today. It was in the mid 40’s so I drove out to an outdoor range that has both a 50 yard and 100 yard rifle range. They also have a pit where you can bring targets to shoot. The pit is actually an old quarrey where you shoot down into it at ranges of 45-70 yards. I brought the tyical carbonated drinks and water jugs. I was probably placing my targets in the 45-50 yard range. The 70 yard area was a bit muddier than where I chose.

I have to say, I shot pretty well and hit all the jugs and 2 litter bottles on first aim. The 12 oz bottles were stuck abvout 70% of the time. I then pulled out my 10mm Nighthawk Longslide and was able to hit the 12 oz bottles half the time, which I thought was pretty darn good for a 6” barreled pistol. All shots were done freehand while standing in the wind.

After I ran out of bottle so fluids to destroy I moved to the 50 yard range. It was quite windy, so I was worried about drift. Mind you, this is my first rifle, so I am a newbie. I placed my targets and sat down to fire. I forgot a rest, so I shot freehand with one elbow on the table. I was not pleased at all about my accuracy. I was only hitting the 8” black target about half the time. I could not tell if I was high or low since the backstop was black rubber and the holes just disappeared. So, I stood up and fired a couple of shots and put then on target. As soon as my second shot range out the range officer told me it was required I fire from a seated position.

It was clear the target was hard for me to see compared to the bottles. I was debating about buying a scope or a Skinner Peep Sight. I have opted for the Skinner sight to see if it helps. I had shot a rifle a week earlier with a peep sight and had much better vision in the sight picture. I have already ordered it and hope I do not need a different front sight. I will take it back out to the range as soon as it arrives and I install it.

At 100 yards, I would expect the entire target to be covered by the gold dot sight.

I thought it was intersting how easy it was to shoot objects than it was to shoot that paper target.

Any thoughts?
2 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Off to the Range today

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:42 am

Reactive targets are great fun.
A good target scope or good range scope set up is a way to help the feedback loop in paper target shooting.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:01 am

Any time I sit and shoot whether its on a full rest or elbow on the table it will change when I stand up and shoot. One thing you could do next time you go if you go to the same place is get a piece of butcher paper and cover a bigger area. That will tell you where youre shots are hitting.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:46 am

What Al says about the difference in where the rifle shoots between shooting from a rest and shooting, offhand, is well worth remembering. Happens to me all the time.

Shooting off of the elbows for a rest comes in dead last as a way to shoot a rifle, accurately, from a rest. Invest in a good shooting bag or bags.

When you get new sights, start out close at 25 yards or so, even 15 yards, if need be, to get the sights initially adjusted, then move on out to 50 or 100 yards. Odds are it will save you ammo and a lot of frustration.
1 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:49 am

Shooting is so much a mental sport, any little thing might throw you off. I buy those little 1" multi-colored dots at Walmart and stick them on paper. Some days I shoot some colors better than others. I'm not a psychiatrist or optometrist , so I can't say why.

One day I was at the open range (Ocala) and a guy came over (bolt job with scope) and asked me to look through my spotting scope at a clay that he then shot (I believe standing). Then he say's, "I hit it right? Then how come I can't hit the target?"

I wouldn't make this stuff up :D
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:25 pm

I believe you. I haven't missed a kill shot on a nutria. Yet if I shot at them like I do targets I should have missed 1/2 the time.
Henry88 wrote:...One day I was at the open range (Ocala) and a guy came over (bolt job with scope) and asked me to look through my spotting scope at a clay that he then shot (I believe standing). Then he say's, "I hit it right? Then how come I can't hit the target?"
I wouldn't make this stuff up :D
2 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

mrowan
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by mrowan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:54 pm

Thank you so much for your comments. Interesting about the elbows on the table. I actually have a pretty good bean bag rest, but I forgot to bring it along that day. I will follow North Country Gal’s suggestion about starting out close and working my way out.

I will let you know how I do once I receive and install the Skinner sight when it arrives. Hopefully soon.
0 x