Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Browning (Miroku) T Bolt Sporter 22 LR

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Browning (Miroku) T Bolt Sporter 22 LR

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:05 pm

Snow has finally melted enough to be able make a range trip convenient, so took a few old familiar rifles, plus one new one to test out. Since we had such great luck with the new production Browning T Bolt Target/Varmint we bought, last fall, thought we'd try another version in the Browning T Bolt Sporter, also in 22 LR. First time out with this one. ( I did polish out the standard matte finish on the stock for a touch more shine.)

The closest thing to the T Bolt Sporter in a CZ would be the CZ 455 American, but I do like the balance of this Browning just a bit more than the CZ American. The T Bolt is easier to steady with just a touch more weight out front than the muzzle light CZ.

Wears a Leupold Freedom 3-9x33 EFR. Nice match for a trim, lightweight rifle. Also added a Jard trigger for a very nice 16 ounce trigger pull that breaks nice and crisp.

As for accuracy, as much as I love our CZs, have to say both of our new Browning T Bolts get the edge in accuracy. Not much, mind you, but it's there. Ammo was Eley Subsonic HPs. This is one of three 5 shot groups. One was slightly smaller and one slightly larger at a touch over .40", so this one makes a good typical group. (Inside circle on the orange dot is half inch wide.)

And here's a 10 shot group (capacity of the rotary mag) without using a rest or support, other than me sitting on the bench. Not quite as challenging as a full standing position, but certainly a challenge when shooting at 9x with no other support. The superb trigger is a big part of making such a group possible. (Two shots in that bottom hole.)

These Browning T Bolts are not cheap, but I really enjoy working that T Bolt action. Something just a bit different than a standard 22 bolt gun. Definitely one of my very serious fun shooters.

Next time out will try out one of the original Browning Belgium T Bolt to see how it compares with these new T Bolts.
9 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Browning (Miroku) T Bolt Sporter 22 LR

Post by Bugs » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:41 pm

If it's not too much trouble could you post a pic of the bolt handle. Neat rifle.
0 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:37 am

Very nice!!!
0 x

deano5150
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by deano5150 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:37 am

Wow! Excellent shooting!
0 x

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:42 am

Thanks NCG.
I was recently looking at a maple t-bolt sporter. The first time, I came home with an SA-22. The second time, I came home with a shot-show Buckmark. I should have snagged the T-bolt, but I picked up a new-in-box Ruger 77/22 (22LR...beautiful rifle) this winter, and didn't see the need for another bolt gun. Your post prompted me to call the store to check on that maple version, and they sold it this week. The owner can get me the 2019 shot-show T-bolt Speed, but the look of that one doesn't work for me...hate cammo on a gun. He can also get the Stainless Target/varmint in, but the stock on that one is a grey laminate. I'm not big on plywood either.

Do you find much difference in the balance of the sporter vs the target/varmint? The sporter certainly seems accurate enough, and I do really like the idea of a straight-pull bolt.

In an unrelated question, do you have a BL-22, and what is your opinion? This dealer is an FLD, and has a BL-22 with a satin nickle finish that my wife took a liking to.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:36 am

As requested, here is a pic of a T Bolt with the bolt open. There's no up and down movement to operate a T Bolt - just push and pull. Allows for the lowest possible scope mounting, it's fun to operate and lock up is very tight.

Action open
Action closed

This new version also uses a non-traditional rotary style 10 shot magazine

As I've mentioned in another post, the out of the box trigger on these new versions is superbly crisp, but will break somewhere between three and four pounds. There is a weight adjustment, but it's mostly in name, only. This is as low as you'll get. I think the trigger is perfectly adequate for hunting and plinking, but if you really want to get the accuracy these guns can deliver, you'll want to do some trigger work. That's why we went with the Jard trigger on both of these new T Bolts. Be warned, though, the Jard triggers are spooky expensive and fussy to adjust and set up.

There really is not much difference in weight or handling between this walnut Sporter version and the walnut Varmint/Target version, which we also have. The difference is mostly in the stocks with the Target/Varmint being a bit more scope friendly and rest friendly on the bag.

One of the criticisms of this new T Bolt is the use of plastic in some of the action parts and the chassis to hold the also plastic mag. Given the price of this rifle, I do think this is justified, but fear not, the plastic is not used in any high wear parts. Shouldn't cause any issues with durability. If you want an all metal current production gun, I would highly recommend the SA 22 or even the BL-22.

If the plastic bothers you and you still want a T Bolt, look for a vintage T Bolt from back in the 60s and 70s when the T Bolt was first introduced. These are all metal and walnut guns, no plastic, BUT you'll spend just as much for one in mint condition as one of these new editions. We did that very thing because we've fallen in love with these guns. Here's our mint, Belgium made T2 from 1966. Note that if you do buy one of these in this time frame, you need to educate yourself on the saltwootd issue, because some guns used saltwood cured stocks and some didn't, even in the same model. Ours did not.
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:55 am

To answer the question on the BL-22. I've owned several and very much enjoyed them. The little guns have a lot going for them. All metal construction with steel being used in the receiver, but there is a little aluminum used in the baseplate of the action. Very short lever throw makes for a fun shooter.

Note that there is no such thing as a Belgium made BL-22. Browning introduced them at the same time they were going to Miroku for production, so all BL-22s are made in Japan.

Triggers tend to be the major complaint and they can be as heavy out of the box as 6 pounds, though four pounds is more the average. The ones I've tested, though, had nice crisp triggers and they will get better with use. Not a whole lot of mods that can be done on the BL-22 trigger, but find one with a trigger that passes your personal test and you'll have a fun gun. Try before you buy is good advice.

Not a gun made for the user to take apart, but you won't need to, anyway, since the action is easy to clean.

The little guns are capable of some good accuracy, but the factory open sights are definitely NOT old eyes friendly. Skinner makes a peep for the BL-22, but it will require a taller front sight. If you do go scope, you'll want to keep it small to retain the fun handling of this fun lever gun. A red dot is ideal.

Those FLD versions caught my eye in the ads, but my local shop is not an FLD, so I passed.

Compared to the SA 22, my choice would be the SA 22. Triggers on the average are better on the SA 22, take down for cleaning is a matter of seconds to do and they are amazingly accurate, plus the SA 22 is still made true to the all steel and wood tradition, same as it's been made from the start.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. Be glad to help, as always.
1 x

dddrees
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by dddrees » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:04 am

North Country Gal wrote:As requested, here is a pic of a T Bolt with the bolt open. There's no up and down movement to operate a T Bolt - just push and pull. Allows for the lowest possible scope mounting, it's fun to operate and lock up is very tight.

Action open
Action closed

This new version also uses a non-traditional rotary style 10 shot magazine

As I've mentioned in another post, the out of the box trigger on these new versions is superbly crisp, but will break somewhere between three and four pounds. There is a weight adjustment, but it's mostly in name, only. This is as low as you'll get. I think the trigger is perfectly adequate for hunting and plinking, but if you really want to get the accuracy these guns can deliver, you'll want to do some trigger work. That's why we went with the Jard trigger on both of these new T Bolts. Be warned, though, the Jard triggers are spooky expensive and fussy to adjust and set up.

There really is not much difference in weight or handling between this walnut Sporter version and the walnut Varmint/Target version, which we also have. The difference is mostly in the stocks with the Target/Varmint being a bit more scope friendly and rest friendly on the bag.

One of the criticisms of this new T Bolt is the use of plastic in some of the action parts and the chassis to hold the also plastic mag. Given the price of this rifle, I do think this is justified, but fear not, the plastic is not used in any high wear parts. Shouldn't cause any issues with durability. If you want an all metal current production gun, I would highly recommend the SA 22 or even the BL-22.

If the plastic bothers you and you still want a T Bolt, look for a vintage T Bolt from back in the 60s and 70s when the T Bolt was first introduced. These are all metal and walnut guns, no plastic, BUT you'll spend just as much for one in mint condition as one of these new editions. We did that very thing because we've fallen in love with these guns. Here's our mint, Belgium made T2 from 1966. Note that if you do buy one of these in this time frame, you need to educate yourself on the saltwootd issue, because some guns used saltwood cured stocks and some didn't, even in the same model. Ours did not.

I'm just starting to look for a bolt rifle and I am trying to determine which one would be right for me. I have to say the TBolt seemed like a potential candidate and I had high hopes it might be a good candidate. That is until I came across a thread on RimfireCentral which goes into a bit of detail about owners and their disatisfaction with the trigger on this particular rifle. I have to say the plastic bits also pretty much turn me off as well.

Sounds like the rifle has great potential but just comes up a bit short when it comes to these two details, at least for me anyway.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:09 am

I do understand, dddrees. My recommendation, then, would be a CZ for a bolt gun. Really are a better value and the 452/455 triggers are a breeze to mod, really as simple as it gets. The only CZs I haven't owned, yet, are the new 457s, but, honestly, I love our 425s, 453s, and 455s so much, I'm in no hurry to buy one.
0 x

Bugs
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Bugs » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:20 pm

NGC thanks for the pics.
0 x