Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Sighting a couple of Singles

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Sighting a couple of Singles

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:04 pm

info really appreciated .... your wide range of personal experience with so many 45-70's gives you an in depth perspective which I appreciate you sharing on the open forum .... I'm fairly new to big bores but I've already come to like their big holes and hard impacts .... historically, I've pretty much stuck to various 30 calibers .... blood thinning meds and growing decades older have reduced my tolerance for hard recoil ....
0 x

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:59 pm

I enjoy shooting my H&R in 45 Colt signle shot and Henry .223 single shot more than any firearm I own except maybe the big boy in .357. It's a close race among those three.
2 x
H006M, H015-223

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:28 am

Glad to hear you're enjoying that 45-70, tractordad. Oh, yeah, I've long had a love/hate relationship with the 45-70, the hate part being the recoil of some loads. What I have found, as I'm sure you have, is that the gun and its stock proportions, weight and so on, make a big difference on how you manage the recoil. Pleased to see that Henry is putting a serious recoil pad on these single shots.

As for the love part of the 45-70, it has a attraction for me very much like the 45 Colt. Both are amazing cartridges that have stood the test of time and are as popular as ever, even in this day and age of tactical guns. Yup, loading one of this big 45-70 rounds into a single shot is like taking a step back in time.
2 x

Yornoc3
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Yornoc3 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:51 am

For sure the 45-70 is fun to shoot. While I don't envision using mine to plink too much, for sure it'll go along whenever I'm sighting in, etc. in preparation for hunting season (which can be at any time of year, this spring especially). There's just something fun about lobbing those big bullets at a 100 yard target. And the Henry's are a really nice hunting rifle, too. Easy to carry, pretty light, fast handling. There's nothing not to like :) .
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:01 pm

steelersfan97 wrote:I enjoy shooting my H&R in 45 Colt signle shot and Henry .223 single shot more than any firearm I own except maybe the big boy in .357. It's a close race among those three.
My Henry 45 Colt Carbine and the BBS in 357 are my two favorites, but I keep wandering back to the Single Shot for caliber I don't have. The 223 could be interesting and fun. Since you seem to have experience with a breadth of calibers, what would the Pros and Cons be of a 223 SS vs., say a 44Mag SS. I'd reload for both, if that matters...
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:17 pm

Hmm, single shot, huh? Don't think I'll be buying a SA revolver yet, but, a single shot. Hmm.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:31 pm

/quote] My Henry 45 Colt Carbine and the BBS in 357 are my two favorites, but I keep wandering back to the Single Shot for caliber I don't have. The 223 could be interesting and fun. Since you seem to have experience with a breadth of calibers, what would the Pros and Cons be of a 223 SS vs., say a 44Mag SS. I'd reload for both, if that matters...[/quote]

We have a Winchester Low Wall in 223 and several versions of the Contender, both rifle and pistol in 223 and also shoot our CZ 527 223 as a single shot. The 223 makes a super single shot cartridge. Almost too may advantages to list them all. Great accuracy - all ours do inch and a half or less at 100 with the cheapest bulk 223 ammo and well under an inch with the better factory stuff. Long distance shooting out to 200 yards and beyond, thanks to a flat trajectory. Wide variety of bullets and loads for hunting everything from varmints to deer. Zilch for recoil, you can shoot it all day long. Cheap to shoot, whether you reload or go factory. In fact, the 223 is the cheapest factory centerfire rifle ammo you can shoot.

Yeah, the 44 mag is a great single shot cartridge, too, but it can't compete in any of these areas with the 223.
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 pm

North Country Gal wrote:/quote] We have a Winchester Low Wall in 223 and several versions of the Contender, both rifle and pistol in 223 and also shoot our CZ 527 223 as a single shot. The 223 makes a super single shot cartridge. Almost too may advantages to list them all. Great accuracy - all ours do inch and a half or less at 100 with the cheapest bulk 223 ammo and well under an inch with the better factory stuff. Long distance shooting out to 200 yards and beyond, thanks to a flat trajectory. Wide variety of bullets and loads for hunting everything from varmints to deer. Zilch for recoil, you can shoot it all day long. Cheap to shoot, whether you reload or go factory. In fact, the 223 is the cheapest factory centerfire rifle ammo you can shoot.

Yeah, the 44 mag is a great single shot cartridge, too, but it can't compete in any of these areas with the 223.
That's what I call some A-1, quality enablement right there, NCG! The single shots have me intrigued, they look beautiful and the 223 seems to fit a gap in my caliber lineup. As Al pointed out above (and you confirmed), there's almost no reason to reload it when you can buy in bulk so reasonably. Will have to ponder this some more, but thank you very much for your comments and endorsement(s)! Great food for thought.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:11 am

Me, an enabler? Naw. :)
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:11 pm

...as she says with an evil :lol: :lol: :lol: we cannot hear...
North Country Gal wrote:Me, an enabler? Naw. :)
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234