Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New to me Colt

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: New to me Colt

Post by Carver » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Really a nice 1911. The scratch just adds character.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Oh, that is tragic!
Mistered wrote:Kind of a funny - but tragic story of mine.
When I was the ripe old age of 17 I wanted an 'Army .45' and after looking around for a while I found a guy who had one he wanted to sell for $250 so I made contact with him and told him to bring it over. Well he did and handed me what looked like an army style holster with a gun in it. So I took it out, cleared it and looked it over and respectfully declined as it was not a Colt and I wanted a 'Colt .45'. I will however never forget the markings on the frame - 'S. Mfg. Co.' ! Yes - this was a Singer! And I didn't learn about this until many years later.....
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:07 pm

I made that same kind of Mistake. Stationed in Hawaii... I walked into one of the smaller chain sporting good stores in the Mall that had a small gun section. Looking in the handgun case they had a Python on markdown, unusual for the early 80s. I asked to see it and saw that it had been marked down several times and was now at about wholesale price. Looking it over I saw no mars, no scratches, it looked perfect. It was marked .38 Target. What? Something had to be wrong. Pythons were .357s... I walked away.

Years later I discovered these were a limited run, and didn't sell well at all, and most of the retailers never reordered, so after the first run, they weren't made again. NIB 38 Target Pythons are RARE, even used ones bring a premium.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:24 am

Ditto, congrats on the Colt 1911. My experience with new production Colt 1911s has been all over the map as far as quality and performance, but when you get a good one, they are very good, indeed. What I really like about yours is that it is actually blued and blued 1911s have become something of a rare beast these days. Beautiful gun.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:58 pm

My experience with new production Colt 1911s has been all over the map as far as quality and performance,
A couple years ago I had the opportunity to look at several new Colt 1911s in my LGS,
I was quite impressed actually - the fit and finish was excellent and the bluing very nice on those that were (blued).
I came very close to buying a new 1991-A1 in 9mm.
I don't know what happened however as they have since disappeared and I don't think this LGS (Sportsman's WH) is stocking them any longer.
0 x